Thursday, August 7, 2008

Mourning Doves


Well, we had an interesting morning today. Let me tell you about it. I was just working out on the excersize bike (I wish it was a treadmill), minding my own business (it's a little after 10 by now probably) when Zach comes running into the house (or was it Riley - I can't remember) yelling, "Mom! Mom! There's a baby bird that fell out of it's nest! Come out and see!" I said that I would when I was done working out because I only had like fifteen minutes left, but not to touch it because I didn't want it to make them sick. He said okay and ran out the door. Then, they come in and Zach has the poor, terrified creature on his Spiderman mask. They want to keep him! "Um, get that thing out of my house right now!" I yelled, fighting the urge to go kick their butts right there (I'm still working out). Couple of crazies. After my work out (which suddenly seemed like twenty minutes instead of five minutes later), I went to see what they were doing. They are so cute. They were digging for worms to feed him. Aww! "No! You don't get to feed him!" I have no idea what he eats. So I go over to the tree and look up. There in the nest is the daddy bird sitting so quietly and calmly trying to be invisible. I took pictures. They are posted below. I know it's the daddy, because I looked it up (after, duh). Any way. I put on my gardening gloves, get out the ladder and try to get the daddy to fly away, so I can put the baby back in his nest. The dad doesn't budge. But then Zach decided to climb the tree. He scared the daddy bird away and as I climb the ladder, I see why he did not want to leave. Baby has a Brother (or sister, I know, but I have all boys - these are boy birds. I'm the author; I decide!). Well, putting Baby back scared Brother, so now I have the situation I didn't want. There is a baby bird on the grass in my front lawn. Yep, I scared Brother so much he tried to flee. Great. Well, I'm not picking up the other one, too. So I've been keeping an eye on him. Daddy came back to the nest and everything is fine for Baby. I really hope Brother makes it. We may have to adopt him and feed him until he can fly. The kids would love that! So, I did a little research on the internet and compared my pictures to the ones on the internet and the birds are Mourning Doves. Very interesting. They eat mostly seeds. The ones in the trees are not squabs, so much as they are juvenilles. (Great, I'm not sure if I'm ready for a teenager!) The dads nest in the midmorning until late afternoon and the moms nest in the evening and nighttime. How's that for cooperation! They work together. When the dad flew off the nest, the mom was right next to him, pecking at him yelling (not really), "Why did you fly away and leave my babies to die!" She did peck him on the head, though. Here are the pictures I took:
The pictures are mislabeled and it's driving me nuts, but for some reason, I can't fix it. The caption on the side of the first picture goes with the second picture and the caption on the side of the second picuter goes with the third picture. Sorry for any confusion.

This is Baby in Zach's Spiderman mask. He's so cute!
This is the daddy, but I thought he was the mommy!
This is big brother! He's pretty scared I bet.

1 comment:

conner studio said...

Wow, Melissa those are beautiful birds. thanks for letting me see your blog, your kids look like mini Kurtis's. we have some old home videos of Kurtis that we just transfered to DVD's.
-Diane