Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Yes. The Police Really Should Interfere ;)

As I have mentioned before, I am in a play.  It is a very wonderful play called An Ideal Husband by Oscar Wilde.  I play Mabel Chiltern.  I am really just an alternate.  I only have two shows this Friday and Saturday, March 11th and 12th (shameless plug - I know!) at the Draper Historic Theater.  The show starts at 7:00 p.m. (Sharp!), and you can go here and click on the link "Buy Your Tix", and pick your seat, and print your $9.00 tickets.  I am excited to have the opportunity to be a part of this show.  We've really come together as a cast, and are having so much fun.
But that isn't why I am blogging today.  I have a line in this play where I am explaining to my sister-in-law about one of my brother's secretaries who just won't stop proposing to me.  Here is the line, "Then, he proposed to me again in broad daylight this morning in front of that dreadful statue of Achilles.  Really, the things that go on in front of that work of art are appalling!  The police should interfere."  The year is 1895 in in this play.  Seriously, how bad could that statue be?  I have been meaning to look it up, and see it for myself so I would know what I was talking about.  Finally, I googled it today.


I don't blame her for finding this statue dreadful.  At least, this is probably the statue she is referring to.  The play takes place in London, and this is a picture of the statue of Achilles in Hyde Park that was erected in honor of the Duke of Wellington in 1822.  All I can say is yikes.  I never really did understand why the sculptor couldn't at least put on some sort of loin cloth or something.  That would probably have a lot less detail to sculpt.  And honestly, who would want to be proposed to in front of that monstrosity?

4 comments:

Michele said...

ha ha ha ha ha! ha ha ha ha ha!

Rach said...

Love this post. You are so funny! I would have hated to be proposed to in front of that statue.

Michele said...

How was the show? Wish I was close enough to have seen it. I bet you were FAB U LOUS

sweetlissybug said...

It was so much fun! I wish you could have come, too. But alas. You don't seem to want to move back her enough. ;)