Wednesday, September 5, 2012

In Which Our Brother is Returned in One Piece (More or Less)

He's here!  He's really, really here! :)
So, two years ago, my youngest brother left for a mission for the LDS church.  He taught the people of Idaho (while he waited for his visa to come through) and the people of Belem, Brazil about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints for two years.  We missed him.  A lot.
And now he's back!  My mom, dad, and grandma picked me up today and we all went to the airport to greet him.  My brother Michael and his wife Lili joined us a little bit later.  It's hard to express how glad I am to have him back.  I get all misty-eyed when I think about it.
He is doing really well.  We wondered if he was super tired after getting off the air plane, but he told us he got bumped up to first class on his flight from Brazil to Atlanta, so he got to sleep then.  What?  First class?  Yes.  Apparently, they were late getting to the air port.  He thinks they had already given their seats away, so they got bumped to first class.  That's awesome.  Sometimes, he starts to speak to you in Portuguese.  It's kind of funny.  I had to explain to Michael that English isn't his first language any more and it might take him a minute to remember English words for things.  He'll be fine in a couple weeks, I'm sure. ;)
Pictures?  Why, yes.  I took pictures. :)  I think you will like them.

 We got to meet some of the families who were also waiting for their missionaries.

 The boys and I made this poster yesterday.  My dad likes it. :)

 Here we are, all lined up and waiting for our missionaries! :)

 There they are!  The three guys in the ties are Elder Sharp, Elder Smith and Elder Harris.

 Aw!

 My mom hates this picture because she is crying in it.  I love it for that very reason.

 Ben loves his sign.

 So the Elder Bitner in this picture, is actually, the twin of the Elder Bitner Ben served with.  They both served in different parts of Brazil, and they were supposed to come home together, but the Elder Bitner Ben served with missed his flight.  I hope he gets home soon!

 Ben and his new sister. :)

 He's still a cheese ball!

 Me and my little brother! :)

Ben wanted to see my boys, so on the way home from the air port, they stopped at my house.  This is his first taste of milk in two years.  Because Brazil milk is gross.  According to him.

4 comments:

Jen said...

What a cutie!! So proud of him! And I especially loved the 0% evil! nice touch :)

Michele said...

Great pictures! I'm glad you took one of mom crying too since I wasn't there & it shows the real emotions and happiness of the day. Thanks for taking pictures and sharing them.

Anonymous said...

I love the 0% evil on the poster too! I cannot believe that he is even old enough to go on a mission. I remember him as such a cute little boy. :) Loved the pic of your mom. I am so thankful for my missionaries, but I can't imagine how hard it will be when (and if) Jackson decides to go.

abby said...

Love all these pictures! Glad he is home and well. We had a really nice visit with your parents and Grandma Sharp when we were up for the temple open house right before he came home. Only thing better would've been if you were there! :)