Saturday, August 10, 2013

Well, That's A Dinner Topic I Could Live Without

It's not that I am embarrassed by this topic (although, I probably would be if we had company over).  I'm just really tired of explaining this process to them over and over.  It won't be the last, though.  I just really wasn't in the mood tonight.

Zach:  "You haven't taken us to Surf 'n Swim yet this summer!"
Me:  "You want to go to Surf 'n Swim?"  I knew they did.  I just haven't really been feeling like wearing a bathing suit this year.  I shouldn't feel this way, but I do.  I've gained ten pounds over the last couple of months.
Zach:  "Yes!  You asked us what we wanted to do this summer!"
Me:  "Well, I am not taking you when I am on my period." True story.  I hate going swimming whilst menstruating.  I pretty much hate anything whilst menstruating.  Unless it involves food.
Blank stare. 
Riley:  "What's a period?"
I've had this conversation with them before.  Several times.  I'm kind of tired of it.  I usually use the word "menstruation" when I talk about it.  So I sigh and say, "I'm not taking you while I am menstruating."
Riley:  "What's that?"
I start to explain and Kurtis cuts me off:  "It's when your mom's body makes an egg, but because she didn't get pregnant, the egg doesn't implant itself and comes out and there is lots of blood."
I roll my eyes and start to correct him, but he likes to explain things and so he keeps going:  "The egg doesn't implant itself to the lining of her..."
Me: "Uterus."
Kurtis: "Her uterus, and so the lining comes out and it bleeds.
Me:  "Well, okay, but my body doesn't make an egg.  My eggs are stored in my ovaries and once a month an egg is released into my Fallopian tubes and if it isn't fertilized by your dad, and implanted into the lining of my uterus, it sloughs off."
Riley:  "We should have another baby."

That's what he got out of that conversation?  Not oh, gee Mom, I'm sorry.  That sounds really unpleasant and I'm sorry you have to go through that so often.  Maybe that was just his solution to the problem.  Oh, well, as long as you are pregnant, Mom, that won't happen and you can take us swimming all the time!
Face-palm.  Kids just don't get it.  At all.

No comments: