Thursday, January 30, 2014

In Which I Discuss My Hatred for Exercise

I think I have a problem.  Just so you know, I'm not asking for advice.  This is just something that I am going to have to figure out how to live with and do it any way.  Today, I have a confession to make.  There are some things that I really, really hate doing.  I mean I really loathe doing them.  If I know it's something I have to do, I will procrastinate getting up in the morning.
I hate cleaning.  I hate gardening and yard work, and I hate working out.
I hate all of those things.  I hate the working out thing the most.  I really need to loose weight.  And I'm not just whining here.  I do.  The health test I took for my insurance says so.  It says I have borderline high cholesterol and the way to fix that is to loose weight before it gets worse.  We'll see if that's true when I do loose weight, though because my dad has high cholesterol and he got that from his mom.  My cousin told me he has it, too and he's only two years older than me.  It's in our genes.
Back to hating loosing weight so I don't ramble any more.  Well, actually, that's pretty much all I ever do. But back to exercise.  I don't really know why I hate it so much.  I said this to Kurtis the other day, and he said, "Really?  You hate exercise?"  He didn't believe me. "Why?"
"I hate feeling sore afterwards.  I hate that I feel so awful, but I haven't even lost a pound the next day.  I hate that out of breath feeling I get in my chest.  I hate that it hurts.  I mean, I know: 'No pain, no gain.' But that is the stupidest thing ever."
"What about a sport.  Do you like playing anything?"
"No."  He still did not believe me, so he began to list some.
"Basketball?"
"No."
"Tennis?"
"No.  I used to like tennis, but I haven't played it since I was 12."  That's true.  I had a friend who I played tennis with until we moved, and I never saw her again.  Except there was that one time Kurtis and I played together after we first got married and he was kind of a jerk (and by a jerk I mean he didn't go easy on me even though I had told him to go easy on me because I hadn't played since I was 12), so I didn't want to play with him ever again.
"Well, I'm sorry."
"Me, too."  I said grumpily.  "Well, I do like yoga, and I do like walking.  But I hate running."
He laughed with an exasperated sigh and said, "Well, there you go."
"I just want to do all the crazy yoga poses that I can't do right now because I am not that good at it yet."
Then, as we were going to bed, I said, "I have always wanted to be good at gymnastics too."
"Really?"
"Yeah.  That'd be cool."

I mean really, who wouldn't want to be able to do this?



4 comments:

Emi-chi said...

I hear ya! I also hate exercise... it's just not fun. I'm trying to lose weight too (my new year's resolution) but it's hard. Right now I'm grateful that I've just stopped gaining. Also I love snacks, so that doesn't help. XD I hate dishes too, which is what I'm supposed to be doing now...

Michele said...

yup. I think for me it might be that I like to do everything when I'm in the "mood" to do it. So once in a rare while I wake up thinking, "Hey, you know what I feel like exercising! Today would be a great day to exercise!" and then I want to exercise all day long and then have that "work" until a few months later when I'm in a exercise mood. Kind of like reading a book- sitting down to read a book and then just reading the whole thing until I've finished. I really would like to do that with everything- cleaning, eating, art work, yard work, everything. Unfortunately I'm finding life really doesn't work that way and just about everything has to be done a little bit every day. It's so annoying because I never feel like anything is ever finished or accomplished. *life* sigh it's so hard being the "creative" types ;-)

Shauna said...

I really hate exercise too, as evidenced by my figure (or lack thereof) but in the past year I've taken up yoga as a way to lessen my chronic headaches and I have to say that I'm loving it. I can't do any crazy poses either but I feel so much better after a good yoga session. So I'm a fan. And YouTube has a million different workouts at all different ability levels so I can push myself just a little without feeling like a failure because I can't fold myself into a pretzel. ;-)

Michele said...

Shauna, what are your favorite youtube ones- or the ones you would recommend? I like doing yoga too. I've tried looking up some on youtube, but there are SO many I am just overwhelmed. I've tried a few and some are better than others, but I feel like my new eternal hobby will become reviewing youtube yoga videos...and I do want to do other things besides searching for the best yoga youtube videos, so I'd love to hear your favorites.