Monday, September 7, 2015

The Weight of Their Loss Feels Like the Weight of the Sun

 Early in May, I went to the Payson Temple open house with my parents, brother, his wife and kids.  It's a beautiful place.  Very opulent, gorgeous and lovely.  Here are a few of the pictures I took:









After the temple, we stopped at the library on the BYU campus to check out my brother's art that was on display there.  On April 15, 1981 in Redstone, Colorado there was a mining accident.  My father's brother was one of those miners who was killed.  This art exhibit is tribute to him and the 14 other miners who also lost their lives.

My brother used paper and his printing press skills to create this master piece.
There are fifteen cars representing each miner killed.

 Their names, ages, and where they are from are listed here.
My uncle is third from the bottom.

 The train cars say "Dutch Creek" and have the initials of the miners, as well as their age and city in Colorado on them.

 So you don't have to enlarge the picture, this says:
"April 15, 1981, as the miners arrived for the evening shift and descended into the mine, disaster struck up Coal Canyon outside Redstone Colorado.  The Redstone Mines had been in operation since the turn of the century, known for the particularly high grade of coal and the coking ovens that stand at the base of the canyon.  At approximately 4:15 p.m., an explosion caused by buildup of methane gasses went off deep within the Dutch Creek No. 1 Mine.  7,200 feet into the mountain, 15 miners lost their lives in the worst mine disaster Colorado had seen since 1942.  After three days the bodies were finally recovered and returned to the surface.  This tragedy shook the surrounding mountain communities, and continues to affect the families and friends of those who were lost that day. Memorials stand in Redstone, El Jebel, and Carbondale, Colorado."

In 1981, I was 21 months old.  My brother wasn't born until October that year, so he was given my uncle's name to honor him.  He is still loved and missed greatly by the five children and loving wife he left behind.  I always love hearing my dad's childhood stories about their adventures together.
I love this tribute to him and the other miners. It's beautiful and powerful.  It was difficult not to cry as I was moved.  But you know, breaking down in the middle of a library usually guarantees raised eyebrows.


And now, for your listening pleasure:
A song that always makes me a little teary-eyed.
Also, my favorite band.

No comments: