Sunday, April 6, 2008

I Want My Toilet Back!

Our toilet has been the bane of my existence for a month or two now. I can't think how long it's been since it worked. Let me explain. Our house has three toilets, so we are not hurting for having one on the fritz, but it's still no fun. Any way, the kids' bathroom toilet leaks sporadically from the bottom (at least, I think it's the bottom). At first, we thought it was leaking from the tank and we could just replace the bolts. This did not help, but our bolts are shiny and new. Very pretty. Then I thought, well maybe it's the wax seal under the toilet. I shared this brilliant new information with my scientific-mined husband (who, by the way, sucks at home improvement). I told him that we should lift the toilet off the floor and have a look. I know I am freakishly strong, but I don't think I can lift the toilet by myself, so I asked if we could do this together. For whatever reason, he didn't really want to pay any attention to me, and would just be like well we need to call a plumber. I would rather not pay for something we could do ourselves. Then like Monday or Tuesday this week, the toilet downstairs had water all around to bottom of it, too. I just thought that we had another wax ring leak, so I called my husband at work and told him the other toilet might be not working with the same problem. He decides to "Google" it. He comes home and tells me he thinks we probably need to get a new wax seal for the toilet. I looked at him, kind of blankly and said, "I've been saying that for a month, now." He is so infuriating sometimes! I have to tell you he does this to me a lot. I will tell him we should do such and such, and he's all Mr. Skeptical. Then his boss (whom he is really good friends with) will say, "You guys should do such and such." If he does that, Kurtis will come home and say, "Steve says we should do such and such, and I've been thinking about it, and I think we should." Ahhhh! Anyway, so we were all set to finally fix my toilet (yay!), but we can't get the plastic thingy that attaches the water line to the tank and you make it really tight so the tank doesn't leak to come off! It should just screw off. Maybe I could cut it off. Hmmm. Alas, no toilet fixed for me this weekend. Oh, and we started potty training Kaleb. He's starting to get it as long as he is not wearing any pants or underwear. I don't know what to think of this, but at least he's making progress! At the start of the week he would cry hysterically when we put him on the potty or told him to sit on his little one. So, the naked baby is a good thing. It can only get better - hopefully. :)

No comments: