Thursday, May 8, 2008

Drinking Makes You Stupid

I haven't blogged in awhile because I didn't think I had anything to blog about. Whatever. Let me tell you what happened last week (I think it was Wednesday, April 30th). I was sitting in my chair, minding my own business reading the final book in A Series of Unfortunate Events, when I hear this crashing sound right outside the front of my house. I look up in time to see a truck hit my mailbox (and my neighbor's they're right next to each other)! I go outside to see if the person has stopped or needs help or whatever and they are speeding down the street as fast as they can go! No, I couldn't see the license plate numbers. I didn't know what to do, so I called Kurtis and asked him if I should call the cops. He said I should. So I did. I filed my first police report ever. Crazy. The cop came and took pictures just like in CSI. It was cool. (Not really) But I did learn that it was considered a hit and run, not just vandalism.
Well, later that evening (because this happened at like 4:00 in the afternoon!), I went outside to call the kids in to dinner and a man in a truck pulls up and asks if that's my mailbox that got crunched. I'm apprehensive of him because I don't know the guy and the person who hit my mailbox was also in a tan truck. I'm thinking, "So, you've finally come to confess!" He proceeds to tell me that he saw the woman hit the mailboxes, and decided to follow her and chase her down. He said that my mailbox hit her windshield and broke it. Ha ha! He told me that he followed her to an apartment building and tried to block her in with his truck while he borrowed some one's cell phone to call the police. She apparently tried to get away from him by moving forward instead of backing up into him and then came around the other side of the parking lot where he was still blocking her in. The cops chased her around and finally caught her. According to him, they had to "take her to the ground." Amazing. She was drunk (of course). I really didn't think that we were ever going to find out who hit our mailboxes. Our next door neighbors told us that this happened two years ago (we've only been living in our home for a year). I wanted to get a nice brick mailbox, but I don't know if every two years some drunk idiot crashes into it. It may not be worth the hassle.

No comments: