Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Two Kids; Five Stings

Remember how I said I was bored? Yeah, well. Sometimes, you just should be happy with what you're given.
Yesterday, like an hour after that post, my boys' friends came over to play. Zach and Riley have a rule. They can't play the computer unless they have played outside for an hour for every half hour they want to play on the computer/playstation/wii/xbox. So when their friends had came over, they still had to play outside. I don't know whose idea it was, but Zach came to me and said, "We want to go around the block picking up trash." How very good citizen of them. So I said they could do that and that it was a good thing to do. Then they said they wanted to go on the trail that cuts through between some of the houses in the neighborhood making it easier to get to the next block (on foot). I should have said no. I wanted to say no, but they were doing a good thing and I couldn't think of a good reason why they shouldn't, so I said they could go to the end of the trail and turn around and come back. He got excited and left happy. I like it when they are happy.
Monday is my laundry day, so I was upstairs folding clothes in my room when I hear screaming. It's not very loud at first, so I don't really understand what's going on. Then, my mind starts going into hyper drive. Who is trying to steal my children?! Is it my children, are they in danger? Before I could even get downstairs, they were back, in the house screaming at the top of their lungs. I swear it sounded like Hell had opened its gates and tried to swallow them whole. They wouldn't stop either. Then Zach's friend said, "They got stung by wasps!"
Oh, is that all? Seriously.
But things were worse than just one little sting. Zach got two in his leg and was crying that it felt like one had stung him twice in the same spot. We put ice on it and sat him down on the couch after I screamed at them to stop crying. Because seriously, they were loud. So very loud. They were freaking out. Riley got stung on his arm, his eye (by his eyebrow), and the side of his head. Zach's stings did nothing but look red for awhile, but Riley's swelled up. I gave him ice and Benadryl. His eye swelled shut, too. I took a picture after it wasn't looking as bad.
I asked them if they had disturbed a nest or something. They said Zach picked up a can, and there were wasps under it and they attacked them. That story sounds weird to me. I asked if the wasps came out of the can, but they insisted they were under the can. Who knows. All I know is that it is going to be even harder for me to get them to go outside again. Zach got stung by a wasp in July, and it's been like pulling teeth trying to get him to go outside again.
I let them play Guitar Hero World Tour after that.

No comments: