Saturday, November 14, 2009

We Never Really Named Him. Just Called Him Mr. Froggy Frog

I have all boys, and the back of my children's school is a wet land (yes, it's fenced off and safe for children), so I'm not really sure why I was so surprized when Zachary brought home a frog Wednesday afternoon.  He asked if he could keep him.  I had been trying to clean my house and get all ready to host bunko the next day, so what with being a little stressed out (okay, maybe a lot, but I think I had calmed down a bit by Wednesday), and all, I just couldn't handle the weeping and wailing and nashing of teeth that I knew was inevitable if I said no, so I said something like, "Fine.  Just don't put him in the snail cage in the house."  They let the snails go in the front yard, and put the frog in the cage.  I was texting my friend when they arrived, and texted her that Zach brought a frog home and he wants to keep it!  I probably sounded a litte freaked because I was.  I know nothing of taking care of a frog!  Frogs are my favorite animal, but I am more of a let them be free kind of girl than a keep them caged up so we can stare at them all day kind of person.  Especially when they were in the wild to begin with.  Any way, my friend told me to calm down, she has everything I need to keep a frog and she will give it to me Saturday (today).  I relaxed.  She said all I needed to do was get crickets to feed it.  All day long, the boys were so happy and excited to have their new friend.  Kurtis came home and told them that if they couldn't feed it by finding bugs for it, they would have to let it go.  Yes, he can be unreasonable sometimes.  The next day, was bunko, so I went and did my shopping - stopping at the pet store to get some crickets.  Kurtis took the day off to help me out (because he's awesome!), and came with me.  He and Kaleb had fun wandering around the pet store looking at all the fish and mice and such.  Kaleb wants a ferret.  No.  That's not going to happen.  Oh, and he wanted a snake too.  But I draw the line at snakes.  My children are not going to have a pet snake in my house! (Shivers run down my spine at the thought).  I just don't like the idea of them slithering around my house if they ever got out.  The crickets freaked me out a bit!  Jumping all over in their bag.  It's gross!  Kurtis fed the frog for me because I am having nothing to do with that!  The worms we almost bought are alive and squirming too!  Ew!  But I can deal with worms better than crickets.  Worms can't jump extremely high and get away very well.  My favorite part though, is that the crickets would sing.  At first I didn't like it.  I thought oh, crap.  That's going to get annoying.  But it wasn't.  It was kind of nice.  The cricket would sing more when I turned the radio on, too.  It was funny.  Any way. When the boys go home from school, Kurtis thought it would be funny to tell them he let the frog go. It wasn't. Zachary cried like someone had died tragically and unexpectedly.  Thursday night or Friday morning, Kurtis convinced Zach to let the frog go because he belongs in the wild.  He also said, "And you never know.  That frog might have been a mommy."  Zach realized that we needed to let Mr. Froggy go, but we promised them that today, we would go and look at pet frogs and perhaps next week, we will get one.  So, as a family, we took him back over to the school and let him go.  He (or she) will be missed.  For about two days.  Zach told me last night that he felt good about letting the frog go.  I was glad.  I think the frog is back where he belongs.  Here are some pictures of our friend.





2 comments:

Michele said...

Your frog is cute! You should move here so you can have frogs just live in your garden and be your pet outside. :) I suppose you can do that there too. If you put a nice wet spot in your yard and place for them to hide like under a raingutter spout and drain tray thing...
Your story is very sweet. I'm glad you blogged it.

abby said...

it's actually pretty! green like a real frog! i taught my primary kids about the whole seagull-cricket pioneer story yesterday and it once again confirmed to me how much i hate crickets. it would seem even the Lord hates crickets.