Friday, January 7, 2011

I Do Not Like Them On My Face! I Do Not Like Them Any Place!

When I was in fourth grade, I was sitting in church next to my mother (we always sat in the back row for some reason).  I looked up at the numbers the chorister posted to tell the congregation the page number of the songs we were going to sing in the hymnal.  I turned to her and whispered, "Mom, the numbers are blurry!"  She looked confused, and so I said again, "The song numbers are blurry." And I discreetly pointed at the front of the chapel.  She sighed, and said, "Oh, that's just great."  Or something like that.  She was never very happy when I was a kid.  I blame it on the fact that she was either pregnant or just had a baby most of my childhood.  That woman needed sleep!
To this day, I need glasses, or contacts.  Someday, I will get lasik.  But that day isn't for a couple of years yet.  I will be sure to blog about it when I do, though.  I'll also blog about when I get my tummy tuck.  Yes, I will be getting one someday.  Mine is gross.  But that is off the subject.
Last year, when I went to the eye doctor, he said I had an astigmatism in both my eyes, and wanted me to try a couple of contacts and see which ones fit me better.  That was news.  I thought I only had one in one of my eyes.  He said he would call, in a week.  He didn't call.  His secretary didn't call.  I finally got a call about two weeks later.  Both pairs were uncomfortable and I wanted to try something else.  I went back in, and got something else to try.  Again, they said they would call me in a week.  Nobody ever called me.  The reason for this is most likely that they were in the process of training a new secretary so the old one could move to another state.  I had some contacts left from the previous year, so I didn't worry about it.  I would just finish the boxes.  Well, I am supposed to throw away each pair after two weeks.  I ran out of contacts in October or September.  Finally around Thanksgiving, I decided I really couldn't wear them any more.  They were starting to irritate my eyes, and I put back on my glasses.  I could have called the eye doctor then, but then he would have wanted to do another eye exam, and my insurance only pays for one a year.  Besides, they also only cover contacts once a year.  If I had them get me contacts in November, I would  not have been able to get them again in February.  You see my logic? 
I hate glasses!  I look just fine in them.  I just don't like the way they look on me.  I don't like that they fog up when I am outside and  simply breathing.  I don't like that when Kurtis tries to kiss me, he smudges them.  I don't like that Baby E has decided she must try to pull them off my face (unsuccessfully - I'm too fast for her, but still).  I don't like that when I look up or down it's blurry.  I don't like that when I turn to check my blind spots when I am driving that I am suddenly blind.  I don't like that when I open my hot oven, they fog up.  I don't like that I can't wear my sunglasses (the sun hurts my eyes, and makes me squint which will give me wrinkles!).  I don't like that when I hug people they get knocked off my nose a bit, and I have to put them back on.  I don't like that even though they were adjusted for my nose and face, they still slide down.  I don't like that I can't see with out them.  I use my glasses for reading at night after I take out my contacts, and so I don't trip on things before I go to bed.  I liked that arrangement.
I got really frustrated with them a week or two ago (I can't remember why, but it was probably a combination of some of the above), and wanted to throw them at the wall.  I didn't do it, though.  Then I wouldn't be able to see at all, and that would suck even more.  I know this is trivial, and that I sound really spoiled, but I haven't worn my glasses since I was finally allowed to wear contacts at sixteen.  I'm old and set in my ways now!  This experience is making me grateful for my contacts, and long for lasik a bit more.

I will be going back to the eye doctor in a month, so hopefully this inconvenience in my life will be remedied.  I will still be seeing Dr. Allen.  I like him.  They just made a little mistake.  I could have called them, but if you tell me you are going to call me, I will not be calling you (and also the above story about my insurance is still true). I just hate wearing my glasses so much.  So very, very much.  

 Hee hee hee!  See?  I'm adorable! :D

2 comments:

Michele said...

You look gorgeous even when you are wearing glasses AND pulling a face- lasik,a tummy tuck? give me a break! Quit worrying about it, just stop thinking about it. sorry, big sister=brutal honesty. Practicality wise, so that you can see from side to side without needing to turn your whole head, so they don't get broken by babies, so you can wear sunglasses, and so you can open the oven, I hope you get your contacts soon.

Anonymous said...

Dear Melissa,
Your good friend, Amber, is an optician. I know that glasses can be a bit of a pain, but there are some things that can be fixed. Please stop by and see if she can fix some of those problems sometime when you are in Brigham. Also, wearing your contacts for longer than the designated time can cause mega issues with your eyes. If you would be unlucky enough to get an infection, you could be stuck with your glasses permanently. Any Dr. would give you a trial pair to hold you over until your next appt.
With lots of love,
Amber :)