Saturday, April 30, 2011

It's A Good Thing It's Too Cold For Me To Open My Windows

Riley is trying my patience today.  He has four chores that he has to do every Saturday.  Clean the bathroom toilets and counters, sweep outside, clean his room, and make his bed.  That shouldn't take too long.  I mean, it's really not hard to clean the toilet.  But Riley wants to play instead.  Of course!  It's so much more fun than cleaning!  I know!  I hate cleaning!  That's why I make my kids do it!
So today, out of sheer frustration with both Riley and Zachary, we came up with consequences.  We usually give them a time limit, and say, "If your chores aren't done by two o'clock, you won't get your allowance for the week!"  Apparently this wasn't a harsh enough punishment because they nodded, and kept playing.
Kurtis came up with this:  "Okay, if you two don't get your chores done by two, you won't get your allowance.  If they aren't done by three, you won't get to play the computer or xbox for a week.  By four, if your chores aren't done, you will loose your treats that you take to school in your lunch.  And if they aren't done by five, you will loose computer for a whole month!"  Imagine my husband saying this with his face all scrunched up.  A furrowed brow - if you will.  What?  You think he doesn't have one of those in his pocket?  Well, you are wrong.  Sometimes, he even yells.  Crazy talk you say?
Well, Riley is not allowed to play the computer or xbox for a month.  And no.  His chores are still not done.  What always amazes me is the oh so elegant way in which my boys accept their punishment.  "What?"  The look on their faces.  "I didn't think you really meant it!"  And then lots and lots of weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth.  Followed by them being sent to their room until they can behave like normal people.  I am rolling my eyes even as I write this.  Seriously.  You would think their dog had died.

3 comments:

Shauna said...

Sounds all too familiar. We have come to dread Saturdays for the exact same reason.

Wendy said...

Oh YES! I love parents that follow through ... they end up with children to be proud of. ;-)

Michele said...

ooo I didn't think Kurtis had a furrowed brow in his pocket. :)