Saturday, May 7, 2011

The Merry Month of May! Hooray!

The month of May is a special one for me.  It's because May 14th is my anniversary.  Twelve years ago, I became a  wife.  Weird.  Then, two years later, after waiting five extra days, I became a mother.  So now, we celebrate all month long!  Mother's day, birthday, and wedding day!  Then later, we celebrate Memorial day, and being another birthday (my nephew's)  It's just one big party.
Kurtis came home on Thursday after work with some flowers in his hands.  He called the boys to him before he came inside so I couldn't see them, and had Riley bring them to me.  Then, he started freaking out a little.  Just a little.  He wanted to take me to dinner for mother's day, but we had to go to Roundtable.  Because Saturday (today) would be so busy.  I could not for the life of me figure out what he was so concerned about.  I was sitting at the table, stamping away, and thinking that we could just go out tomorrow.  After about five or ten minutes of contemplation about this while he was off doing I don't remember what, it dawned on me.  He thinks it's Friday!  I immediately started to giggle.  I should have known right away.  He woke up this morning and said, "It feels like Friday.  But it's not, is it?"  "Nope," I replied sleepily.  "That's too bad."
He worked from home most of yesterday.  Kaleb had a Mother's day program with all of the other kindergartners.  It was so cute.  Kaleb also insisted that I open his Mother's day present to me on Friday.  It was this awesome washcloth with his hand prints on it.  Now, I have three.  One from all my boys.  Every year, the kindergartners make those for the moms, so I already knew what it was.  But he was so excited to give me his present.  How could I not be excited to get it, too?
For my mother's day dinner, we ended up going to Chuck-A-Rama with Kurtis' family.  It was so much fun.  I gave his mom her present, and card.  She loved it.  Because my cards are amazing.  Kurtis ate too much.  I ate too much.  Zach and the boys tried jumbo shrimp.  I thought it was okay, but the boys loved it.
Today, we went to my grandma's house and cleaned up her yard.  All of her kids that live in our state came along with some grand kids, and we weeded, and raked, and trimmed trees.  I mostly weeded with my dad.  I also got to meet my cousin's girlfriend.  He might marry her.  He's not absolutely sure, yet, but she is.  It's a pretty big deal.  But I liked her.  She's really nice, and from Wisconsin.  She wants six kids, and is going to be a kindergarten teacher.  She played with my kids, too.  So that's a pretty big deal.  They are going to school in Idaho, and that's where they met.  Kurtis raked.  He said it was hard and that his body aches now, and that he has blisters on his hands.  I wonder if we will make it to church tomorrow.  Maybe I will just go by myself.  That would be a nice Mother's day present to myself.  We shall see.  I don't like going some places alone.  I've been going with Kurtis much too long for that.
Tomorrow is the real Mother's Day, but Kurtis seems to have forgotten that.  It's alright though.  We've pretty much turned our attention to the fact that Monday, Zachary turns 10.  He's about to be in double digits!
Oh, my heck!  I almost forgot.  Today, I added to my list of things I never thought I would say!  My cousin's girlfriend was playing with my kids, and they "killed" her.  She flew herself down on the ground, and said, "I'm dead!"  Zach started chopping her up with his plastic knife while saying, "Slash!  Slash!  Slash!"  So I said, "You already killed her!  Don't mutilate her dead body!  That's just rude."

1 comment:

Michele said...

Nice... seriously about all the sweet Mother's Day stuff and a little sarcastically, but with a smile, about the thing you never thought you'd say.