Sunday, April 8, 2012

Some Easters Are Better Than Others

This morning started out with an Easter egg hunt.  The kind where the eggs are filled with various sorts of candies.  Then the boys looked at the Easter baskets while I sorted through the plastic eggs and made sure everybody got the same amount of the same candies.  It's the way I was raised.  We'll just leave it at that.
We also made Resurrection Rolls for breakfast.  I got the recipe from my friend who posted the link on her blog.  Thanks, Shauna!  They are not a healthy breakfast at all, but they are tasty.  I figured I would try to help them understand why we celebrate Easter, and let them know that it isn't just about chocolate.  Emphasis on the word try.  Because as Zachary read the scripture verses about Jesus' crucifixion, we had a few people trying to talk about other things and I wasn't very happy about that.  Then Kaleb cried because he wouldn't eat his roll, but we wouldn't let him have any candy until he did.  Then I went to choir practice, but before I did, I heard Kaleb talking to himself and crying because he didn't get a Lego Star Wars III game.  It's what he wanted for Christmas, but because he didn't put it at the top of his list, we thought he wanted Lego Pirates of the Caribbean more, and got him that.  I was late to choir practice because I felt the need to give him a little lovin' before I left.  When I got back, Kaleb was crying.  Dad told him he couldn't have any Easter candy until he put on his church shoes, and he couldn't find them!  We found them under a box in his room.  Then I helped Kaleb put on his new tie.  It's his first tie you tie yourself, and not some zipper tie.  It was a little long, and he started to cry.  "I don't like it!" He cried.  He's the one of my children who is most concerned about his appearance.  Ugh.  He did not wear his new tie today, and Kurtis told him we would take him to the tie store to pick out his own tie.  We also decided maybe he wasn't quite ready for the tie it yourself tie.  Zipper ties are awesome, but the other kind last longer (unless you are my kids and you just can't help but ruin them in one way or another).  Poor kid!  This Easter seemed like a total FAIL for him.  It just seemed like a lot of drama over a tie to me.  I suppose I might feel the same way about shoes sometimes, though.  For dinner, we had shishkabobs.  No, I don't know how to spell that word. I'm sure I knew at one time or another.  That works for me, though.  We also had some yummy artichoke dip.  Well, Kurtis and I did.  The kids didn't really want any.  Meh.  More for us. :)

 I tried to put other things in their baskets besides candy, but that really didn't happen.  Except the ties.  I really, really liked Kaleb's tie and I am really bummed that he was so unhappy with it.  It's the one black one with turquoise stripes in the basket next to the one on the far left with the giant bag of Cadbury mini eggs in it. Yes, yes, those are for me.  I really, really love them and the Easter Bunny understands.

 Hunting for the eggs!  The Easter Bunny hid 50 eggs this year.  That's a lot.

 Resurrection Rolls!  Yum!  The tomb was empty.

These shishkabobs were delightful! :D

These are the Easter cards I forgot to send out.  I'll do that tomorrow maybe.  Probably it's more like I will get everybody to sign them tomorrow and then put them in the mail Tuesday.  All the painting I've been doing has made me neglect pretty much everything else.  Sorry!  I still love you, though! :)
HAPPY EASTER!


2 comments:

Michele said...

I think it looks like a fantastic easter! Wish I could have visited. ;-)

sweetlissybug said...

It was a fun Easter for everybody else. :)