Sunday, January 13, 2013

You Can't Look Me In the Eye and Say You Don't Feel Like A Little Destruction

Last night, was quite the adventure.  I was watching episode four in season two of Downton Abbey when Zachary comes running over to me.  "Mom!  I think the sink overflowed!"  I look at him, thinking that if he thinks the sink has overflowed, it must not be that bad.  I rolled my eyes and said, "Then let some of the water out of it."  "NO!  MOM!  THE SINK HAS OVERFLOWED!"
Yes.  Zachary left the sink unattended while he watched his brother play a computer game and let the sink overflow.  It ran in a beautiful river all the way down the kitchen floor, under the refrigerator a little and into the pantry.  It even managed to get under the sink and in the drawer and cupboard next to the sink, and underneath the dishwasher.  Yay.  I did want to wash my kitchen rug, but hadn't gotten around to it yet, so I suppose that is the silver lining.  All that crap so I could have a clean kitchen rug.  Thanks, Universe.  You're the best.
We cleaned it up quickly, with lots of yelling and telling him to he made this mess, so he'd better help us clean it up.  Hopefully I won't have to get a new floor again.  I have to pat myself on the back for not swearing, though.  I'm pretty proud of myself for managing that.  It's kind of funny now, but I was so very, very annoyed last night.  Actually, no.  It isn't funny now.  I'm not there yet.  I hoped I was, but I'm not.
When the clean up was over and I was done putting everything in the washing machine, there were hugs all around, so we still love each other and all is forgiven.  But hopefully Zach understands the importance of not leaving running water alone when your sink is filling up.  Kurtis told him to treat water as if it were dangerous.  "You wouldn't leave a fire unattended would you?"
I hope my yelling at him last night to just get his stuff done and then stuff like this won't happen sinks in.  Ah, the joys of parenting.

No comments: