Friday, January 18, 2013

As If I Didn't Already Have Enough to Do!

Today, Zachary had a science fair project due.  He forgot it.  I was surprised when he called not five minutes after I got home from driving them to school that he had forgotten it, too.  The night before, he was so excited to have finished it on time.  He even made me take pictures of it.
I was in my pajamas, so I said that I would not bring it to him until 11:45 that morning.  That's when I would be at the school any way, to help out with Riley's fourth grade Rendezvous.  That was fun by the way.  No, I didn't take pictures because I was working the Trading Post and was too busy bartering with the kids over the toys and treats they could buy with their paper buck skins.  But that was not good enough for Zach.  He wanted me to bring it to him right then.  Right now.  No, Zach.  I take you to school in my pajamas because I don't have to get out of the freaking car.  Nobody can tell that I am in my pajamas.
After Zach, called me, though, I updated my facebook status to: "No, I WILL NOT bring my child his science project board (that he forgot) to school right now! I'm in my pajamas! Grrr."
Then my friend decided teasing me was a good idea.  She commented: "Well if you would have reminded him! Ha ha"
Yes, that is funny.  My response was , "Ha!  That's not my job either.  :)"  Because it isn't.  He's old enough to be responsible for his school projects.  But let me give you a list of all the other things I have to remind my children to do in the hour between getting up and driving them to school:

1.  Eat breakfast (I can't believe I have to remind them to eat.  Their stomachs should do it for them.  I'm starting to worry about their ability to live on their own in the future.)
2.  Get dressed
3.  Brush your teeth (I usually have to tell them to do this multiple times before it gets done, too)
Put your lunch in your backpack (It's a school day.  Why do I have to remind them to do this?)
4.  Feed the dogs. (Which usually begins some huge argument about who should open the door and let the dogs back in from the freezing cold so they can eat.  Honestly, I thought that I had solved it when I gave Riley the responsibility to feed Abbey, Kaleb the job of feeding Neji, and then Zach gives them water outside.  I have explained they should put the food in the bowls and then Zach can let them in as he takes the water outside.  This should run smoothly, but Riley thinks feeding Abbey takes ten minutes - Abbey is old and can't chew the hard dog food any more, so we feed her the stuff in the cans.  And no, I am not exaggerating.)
5.  Put the milk away.
6.  Put your coat on.  Gloves and hats if it's super cold.
7.  BACKPACKS!  (Yes, I have been outside, warming up the car and they have walked outside to the car with out their backpacks.)

I'm sure there are more, but I really think I have a hard enough time remembering all those things while I am half awake to remember anything else.  There's no way I would remember to remind them about something new and probably never to be done the rest of the year again.  I know I'm repeating myself, but sometimes I really don't know if they will make it on their own.  Honestly, though.  They'd better get it together because I am no helicopter mom.  When they move out, there will have to be some very special circumstances for me to let them back in.  

No comments: