Monday, October 10, 2011

It's As Simple As That

Saturday, as I was leaving for my play, Riley asks me if he can be Catholic.  I asked him why he wanted to be Catholic.  He told me it was because they don't go to church.  I giggled, and said, "Catholics still go to church, Honey."  Then, Zach (who was doing the dishes) said, "You don't want to be Catholic.  They aren't the right church.  They don't have the Book of Mormon!"  Which also made me giggle.  My kids are so funny.  But Riley's response was the best:  "Then I will just take the Book of Mormon to the Catholics!"  This from a kid who is very adamant that he does not want to go on a mission one day.  Which is fine.  Then, as I walked out the door, I told him that if he took the Book of Mormon to the Catholics then he wasn't being a Catholic!  I also told him he had to go talk to his dad about it now because I had to go, but I just thought it was funny. 
This exchange told me a few things about both of my sons.  They do have a testimony of the Book of Mormon.  They do read it at night (Zach told me he's read it three times), and they do have a testimony of the gospel of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day-Saints.  Their Sunday school teachers are doing a really great job because I don't talk much about my religion with anybody.  It's not that I don't want people to know I am LDS, but I don't want people to think it's the only thing about me.  There's more to me than that.  I believe in the teachings of my church and I believe in Jesus Christ.  He taught us the way to live our lives in a way that will make us happy and that will help us get along with each other.  Love really is the message of our church.  And we must learn to love one another regardless of what others believe, or what books they read.  God is love.

5 comments:

Jen said...

I think that is so sweet of Zach. What a great young man he is! That is a powerful testimony. Being a mom has really helped me see what Christ meant when He said to become as a little child. Their faith is so great.

Michele said...

hee hee hee. :) Great story. I may have to go tell my Catholic neighbor... She might get a kick out of it because last fall her son wanted to be a Mormon so he could just watch church on the computer like us(it was conference weekend). Your kids are good kids.
A couple of weeks ago a young man in our ward left for his mission. When he was speaking he said when he was a little boy he did not want to go on a mission and he told his mom he wouldn't because he was afraid to go by himself & wanted her to go with him. She told him she would go with him and stay with him on his mission until he was ready to go by himself. He said he was ready to go by himself now. I thought it was so sweet!

Michele said...

Okay, i told my neighbor and she is still laughing- i told her as they were off to faith formation- they have to go once a week (weekday evening)for oh, their entire childhood into teens & it is tough! Tons of memorizing and interviews with intimidating nuns and priests oh & they do go to church every Sunday.

sweetlissybug said...

Well, I think that because his grandma is Catholic, but doesn't practice, he thinks all Catholics don't go to church. I thought it was pretty hilarious myself. That's why I had to share it with you. I knew you would appreciate it! :) I like your story about the mom and her missionary. That's sweet. I will have to let you know what he says when I tell him that. :)

abby said...

love it! great post, melissa.