Wednesday, November 30, 2011

You Hold the Rights I'll Never Own

Yesterday, I told you I couldn't blog about what I wanted to.  Finally, I can.  So let me tell you my story:
Thursday, November 17, 2011 was our cub scout pack's Pinewood Derby.  It was so fun for the boys.  The Wolves were in charge of the treats, and of course, my partner in crime got sick, so I had to take care of it all by myself.  No worries, though.  I came up with something amazing that only took me four hours to make total (including a lunch break and putting little girls in time out because I was working that day, too).
I video taped the boys cars going down the tracks that evening.  I had twelve minutes of footage that I cut down to four.  Because let's face it.  All the stuff in between the cars going down the track is super boring to watch if you aren't there.  Then I took the sound out of the video and put it to music.  After that painstaking process (which I actually enjoy - I just had to be in the mood to do it), I uploaded it onto YouTube.  Then I get an email telling me that using a certain song has put me in copyright violation, and therefore, they removed all the audio out of my video.  If you have ever heard of the Fair Use Act, then you will know that I was not in copyright violation.  I used thirty seconds of each song.  Not the entire song, therefore, not violation.  I could dispute this, but that would have been asking them to come and sue me, so I said, "Well, that's fine.  I'll just use another song."  I took out the song that showed up on the video as being for sale to purchase, and put in another.  Apparently, there was another song that had the same issue.  So, I took out that song, and put in another.  I decided to take out another song by the same artist that I had used as well, just to be safe.  Geesh.  So finally, it is uploaded and you can watch it.  But I'm still risking copyright violation with one song.  You'll know because if you watch it on YouTube, and not my blog, you will be able to click on a link to purchase said song.  But they didn't take out the audio this time, so I am not changing it again.  Unless they threaten to sue me.  Which would just be rude.  Nobody is going to watch this except maybe my family and maybe some friends.
But enjoy the video.  Especially, you Michele.  You understand the importance of capturing the moments in your children's lives that matter the most to them.


At one point in this video (if you are paying attention), Zach and Riley get to race their cars against each other.  I can't remember (of the two) who won.

 Riley's car.  We had the boys weigh their cars and if it was too light, we brought pennies for them to hot glue onto the car to make it heavier.

 I asked Kurtis to take some pictures while I was filming.  Not really sure what Zach is doing, but he's having fun. :)

 The boys loved gathering around the track to watch.

 Zach's car won "Most Decals".  He used all the numbers and the stickers surrounding the numbers on his car.  It's in the video.  We didn't get a shot of just his car, yet.

 Kurtis thinks I'm pretty, so he took a picture of me setting out the treats.  I just think it's funny that you can't tell that's what I am doing. :)  And this is also why I didn't video the award ceremony for their cars.  Too busy!

I told you these treats were amazing.  I made fifty of them.  Three batches of rice crispy treats, one tube of blue frosting, and the giant bag M&M's.  I made cookies with the left-over M&Ms later.  Easy, but time consuming.  So glad I started in the morning instead of waiting until after lunch. And they were a HIT!  So go on and comment on how darling they are.  I love to hear it! :D

3 comments:

abby said...

they ARE darling! way to go! and i'm totally baffled about the youtube thing. you seriously can't use any song you want for family videos? i guess i'm in violation too. weird.

Amy said...

Awesome job on the treats! You are so creative! And sorry about the music, sounds extremely frustrating.

Michele said...

A! Adorable cars. Love them. Great pics of the pinewood derby. It looks like fun. :) (secretly I hate the pinewood derby most of all cub scout related things. Okay, not secretly).