Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Letting the Days Go By Water Flowing Under!

Guess what else I didn't want to have to spend my tax return on.  A NEW KITCHEN FLOOR!!!  Last night, Kurtis and I finished up our Christmas shopping and went grocery shopping.  When we got home, I put the groceries away, and as I was putting some cheese in the bottom drawer, I noticed the floorboards were warped.  I stepped on it hard, and water oozed out of the cracks.  Kurtis pulled back the refrigerator to find the hose to the ice maker spraying water.  It was a fine mist.  As we looked under our kitchen sink to find the valve to turn it off, we realized that the hose was not going under the floor and behind the counters to the sink, but under the floor.  End of story.  I ran downstairs to see if there was any water pouring from the ceiling.  Nope.  Not pouring, really.  Just a little drip from the light fixture into my box of cds, and splashing onto the floor.  I got a bucket.  Kurtis turned off the main water to the house, and sat there saying, "I don't know what to do.  I just don't know!"  As tears ran down his face.  He tried to temporarily fix the hole with gorilla glue, and duct tape.  That didn't work.  Don't try it.  After awhile he decided that he should cut the hose near where the hole was and then he tried to put all the universal combo thingy back together, but he had ruined it trying to get it off the other piece of hose.  By this time, it was almost three in the morning, and I was ready to crash and cry.  I didn't.  I held it in until the next morning when I called my mom to tell her not only was there water all over the kitchen floor last night, but the front room of our home had also been flooded.  The wetness of the carpet went about oh, two feet into the room.  Maybe three.  I don't really feel like getting out my yard stick and making exact measurements for you.  Joy.  My parents came and Kurtis and my dad tried to figure out where the hose was going, but couldn't.  I bet you anything we're going to have to cut a hole in my basement ceiling to find it.  I want to literally kick the person who did such a half-assed job on my house in the balls.  I'm not lying at all.  Why would you do that?  Why would you not give yourself access to that valve?  Are you stupid?  That's what I would scream at him as I did it, too.  He would deserve it.  Don't tell me you didn't think it, too. 
When Kurtis got home from the home improvement store, he clamped the hose shut with the cutest little clamp I have ever seen.  We had to wrap it in a wash cloth because the hose was so slippery.  It needed a little traction, but it worked!  And we had water again!  By the time my parents got here, we had pretty much cleaned out the living room and my mom tried to use her shampooer to mop up the excess water in the carpet, but nothing came up.  I hope that is a good sign, but it's still not dry, so only time will tell.  I'm going to be honest.  I'm not having a very good Christmas right now.  I still haven't finished the neighbor gifts and I haven't sent out my Christmas cards either.  The Christmas letter just doesn't have enough snark for my tastes, but my family might just have to deal with it, and I'm really not that concerned that they probably won't get them before Christmas this year.  I'm too freaking busy trying to keep my ceiling in the basement from falling in!  My dad touched it.  He said it was soft.  Which means there's water up there!  Excuse me.  I need to go cry again now.  Wait.  I'm good.  No.  No, yep.  I'm good.  I will just breath and deal with it because I have a friend who is going through something so much worse right now.  I'd like to thank her for the perspective, and for understanding that I canceled scouts today.

3 comments:

Michele said...

:( So sad & frustrating. Glad you guys got the water line fixed. I know I called to tell you what to do- i.e. pull up the carpet and carpet pad and rent some fans, but how's it going? Wish I was closer so I could help you out. At least it wasn't on Kaleb's birthday or during the party right? good luck

Michele said...

me again. I really like the quote you put above the picture of you on stage with stars- it goes so well!

Des said...

I am so sorry! House and car repairs are the worst! It is never fun to spend money when you are not ready to spend that kind of money. A new kitchen floor would be great, but only if you are planning on it, right?