Monday, December 12, 2011

We Can Dodge Debris While We Trim the Tree

So, I think I have caught up on my blogging for November, and now I can finally blog about December 1st.  It was a really crazy, windy day.  I'm sure most of you have heard about how there were 95 mph winds and such.  I won't bore you with all those details.  I-15 was closed, so I told Kurtis he should work from home.  The lady I babysit for is a teacher at the kids' school, and she called to tell me not to send the boys to school.  The kids thought it was the best day ever.  But I just want to show you the pictures I took of my neighbor's roof when I looked out the window!  It was totally wicked!

 I looked out my kitchen window, and those are my neighbor's shingles standing straight up.  I am surprised they didn't fly right off.

 This is the neighbor next door to the above neighbor.

Oh, and that's my roof.  I went back inside.

 The kids pointed this out to me.  The wind blew the attic door open.  Creeped me out quite a bit, but Kurtis just laughed and told me the wind could do that.

 There was a lull in the wind for about fifteen minutes.  This is the biggest piece of damage to our roof.  Kurtis and my dad patched it up on Saturday.  I guess I know what we will be doing with our tax return in 2012.  Not what we wanted, but life isn't always about what you want. :P

Kurtis and I decided to go out to lunch (because the storm had died down to almost nothing), and as we drove past our local Dairy Queen, this is what we saw!  It wasn't like that before the storm.  Many signs like this were blown out.  Traffic lights were out or flashing yellow lights.  It was total chaos.  Fallen trees, and all that stuff.  We never lost power, but the kids' elementary school was out, so they got to stay home Thursday and Friday (Dec. 1st & 2nd).  One school still didn't have power on Monday, so they were out an extra day!  
Sunday, the our church building did not have power (apparently no one on that street did either), and so church was canceled and a stake-wide that soon became city-wide clean up began.  Kurtis went to bed the night before feeling like crap, and woke up not much better, so we didn't participate, and I had to ask my neighbor to come and help me tip over our basketball hoop again.  We were preparing for another wind storm that was predicted.  It never came.  I didn't think it would, but I didn't think our winds would be so high, either.  It was kind of scary while it was happening, but it was amazing to watch as well.  I watched the wind pull down my next door neighbor's backyard fence.  My neighbor across the street's recycling bin went flying down the street, so I made Kurtis go get it for him.  It's still lying on its side in his front yard.  I'll admit it bugs me, but I try not to be too bugged because I'm sure my neighbors often wonder why I don't weed my front yard.

2 comments:

abby said...

crazy!! wind is scary. i'm glad you got a little vacay out of it though. would your homeowner's insurance cover the roof? i just know there was a wicked hailstorm in phoenix last year and somehow my parents got a free new roof out of it.

Michele said...

Holy Cats! And ditto what Abby said- see if your insurance will cover it. They should come out for free to look at it and let you know. Our insurance policy gave us a nice new roof after a bad storm a few years ago and our deductible did not increase. Might be worth looking into.