Friday, November 26, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving!

I had a really great last couple of days. My sister has been in town for the last week. We didn't get to see them on Tuesday (see previous post for what we did Monday), but on Wednesday morning, we braved the treacherous roads, and went to see the Carl Bloch exhibit. It was amazing! If you go, and I recommend you do, you should definitely rent the iPad. It's only three dollars, and all the commentary on the paintings is insightful and moving. The poster sized book I bought doesn't do the painting justice. There is just no comparing seeing them in their life-sized realness. I just wish I hadn't brought my kids. They were unimpressed, and bored, and just kids. Riley was supposed to stay with my dad, but he ran off. My mom went and asked a lady if she had seen him (describing him, of course). She hadn't, but he was soon found, and my dad made him come and sit with me. Later, my mom came and told Riley they closed the museum doors and were looking for him. She said the woman she had asked came up to her and asked if we had found him. She said we had, and she said, "Good because we sealed the doors, and weren't letting anyone out." Nobody told me he was even missing. But he was probably just running around in the hall, looking at the toys in the gift shop. He told me he wanted to be done, and wait for us there, but I told him he had to stay by me, and not leave.  Next time I go with Kurtis, I am not bringing the boys.  Mine just can't handle it. It made me grumpy.  They really liked McDonald's though.  Yuck.
Thanksgiving was a really nice day! I made my "Best Ever Hot Artichoke Dip". You can find the recipe here.  We really love it.  My sister's father-in-law, and brother-in-law came and shared the day with us, too.  We ate, played Clue, ate some more, played Mall Madness, ate some dessert, and had fun just hanging out with each other.  It was a great day.  Michele says it's her favorite holiday.  Emily says she hates Thanksgiving, and was kind of pouty by the end of the day, and nobody could get her to tell us why.  The boys had so much fun playing in the snow with their cousins, and grandpa.  They tried to make a snowman, but the snow wouldn't stick together.  Ryan showed the kids the moons of Jupiter, and talked about our ancestors who came over with the pilgrims.  It was good to get to spend time with everyone.  The only sad part is that they went home this morning, so we couldn't spend more time having fun. :'(
Today, I'm gonna decorate for Christmas.  Kurtis went to work, but no one was there, so he came home.  Usually, he doesn't get today off.  It's awesome.

 Here the kids are in front of the museum.

For more information about seeing this exhibit, check out this link.

2 comments:

Michele said...

Oh stop. Yes there was a lock down & poor mom had no idea what that was, but they survived. I thought mom & dad took them to see the dinosaurs, but it was closed so they sat in the car with all the kids. BIG THANK YOU for that. No, luckily BYU is a nice place and were not horrified you brought kids. i need to write them an email. I have been to a few museums in my day and with kids and my kids aren't too terrible. Anyway, there was a very nice lady there who saw our kids touching (looking as if preparing to climb it) a sculpture. I went over to stop them, but then I saw something happening and let it. Did they absolutely die? No, a lady said, "Oh, do you like this sculpture? Let me tell you a little about it. Step back and tell me if you can see [this and that]. Walk around it and show me the indian writing you find on it." I was nears tears to find a museum that means it when they say kids are welcome and should learn about art. Don't worry about it anymore. Don't panic. If Kurtis does want to go, you should go without the kids- enjoy a date & they've already seen it anyway. ;)

Michele said...

I was looking at the pictures again and noticed you can see the "excitement" in the boys faces to be at a museum before we even went in. Hahaha! Ana was happy to be there. :)