Friday, July 22, 2011

Get Hot, Get Too Close To the Flame

Yesterday, for cub scouts, we took the Wolf Den to the fire station.  Unfortunately, the only problem with having a small number of cub scouts (3) is that when two of them are out of town on vacation, there will only be one that shows up.  That one that showed up was Riley, and since we meet at my house, it's kind of hard for Riley not to be there. 
I made my other kids come with us, so that it wouldn't be Riley's personal tour of the fire station.  Ha!  I was going to make them come anyway!  It was really fun, though.  We walked, and Riley and Zach wanted to ride their bikes.  Unfortunately, so did Kaleb.  He got about half way down the street and decided to just walk his bike the rest of the way.  Oh, man did that ever make me mad.  I didn't want him to ride his bike in the first place because I knew that would happen.  Then he whined and cried because I made him push his own bike.  Maybe next time, he will listen when I tell him that I don't think that is a good idea.  I was telling Kurtis about it and he said I should have made Zach take the bike back.  That sounds so logical when you say it out loud like that.  I didn't think of that.  Nor did I want to walk his bike all the way up the street again.  We had to be there at a certain time.
When we got there, though, that's when they had all the fun.  They learned about fire safety and we practiced crawling on the floor and feeling the door to see if it is hot.  We watched a video of Timon and Pumba talking about fire safety as well.  It was really cheesy.  Then, the cool part happened.  We got to see the trucks!

This is the truck they use when they go fight forest fires.

This is called a fire truck because it has the big ladder on it.  Riley had fun pretending to fight fires.

This is a rescue truck.  Those are the jaws of life!

 These are the fire engines.  The firefighters ride to the fire in them, and they carry the water to the fire.  They hook the hoses up to the fire hydrants, but they don't pump water very fast, so they are also hooked up to the engines in order to pump the water out faster.  Even I learned stuff! :D

Kaleb is sitting in a fire engine.  He's getting hooked up to one of the oxygen tanks the firefighters wear.  The tanks weigh about 35 pounds.  Kaleb weighs 37 pounds.

Zach tried it on instead.  He said it was heavy, but not too bad.  Yeah, we'll see if he still says that after wearing it for ten minutes. :D

He put on all his gear for them.  Zach asked if it was hot in there.  He said it was, and when he asked if they wanted to try it on, they declined.

But Riley did try on his hat.  Which apparently he thought was pretty cool.

Our tour guide is also a paramedic, and he showed the boys all his medicines that he uses.

Our tour was pretty cool.  They even got to see where the firefighters on call sleep.

Kaleb wasn't very happy that I made him drag his bike all by himself.  Consequences aren't always fun to deal with are they?
Oh, and the tour guide asked Zach what he wanted to be when he grows up, and apparently, Zach is considering a career in the Army.  I wonder where that came from...

1 comment:

Michele said...

What great fun and great pictures! You are good to go any way and not just cancel- but maybe also kind of fun cause then you can just take pictures of your own kids and not worry about anyone else- okay that maybe sounded weird. I don't have anything against other peoples children- really. I really do need to go to bed. I don't know what I'm talking about.