Monday, July 25, 2011

We Are Just The Monkeys Who Fell Out of the Trees When We Were Trying to Fly

Zach went to play at his friend's house today.  It turned out to be quite the adventure.  He left around 1:30 or 2, and around 3, my friend brought him home, saying he had fallen out of a tree.  Apparently, he was trying to pull himself up onto another branch when the one he was hanging onto broke. "Oh, I'm sure he's fine,"  I said.  He has some scrapes, but didn't want band-aides on them, so I put some ice on it for 20 minutes, and waited.  After about an hour, he wasn't feeling better, and it still hurt to move, so I thought I'd better take him to the insta care - just to be sure.  We were there for over an hour.  They x-rayed him and we found out that even though they could not see the break, there was an indication of fluid around the area, so they assumed it was broken.  He was put in a splint and a sling, and we get to see the ortho guy on Wednesday morning.  He was very brave.  Apparently, breaking your elbow doesn't hurt as much as breaking your leg.  The doctor told me that most of the pain associated with elbow breaks is due to movement, so now that he can't move his arm, he shouldn't feel to much pain.  He got two suckers, and on the way out he asked if we could go for Slurpees.  I told him after dinner.  I made good on my promise.  They have a new flavor in honor of Cowboys vs. Aliens called Alienaid or something like that.  I'm sure I spelled it wrong.  But it was delicious.  The movie doesn't look as good, but the Slurpee was yummy! :D

 While we were waiting to get an x-ray, I took a picture with my phone.

 Then, we had to wait some more, so I took a picture of the other side of his elbow.  Ouch!

 Kaleb drew a picture of Zach and his owie.  Zach is crying, and that is Kaleb with him and our dog, Neji.  The dog is sad because Zach got hurt.

 All splinted up!

Well, I suppose I couldn't get him to smile about a broken elbow, but he said he didn't care what his face looked like.  Poor guy.  We love him!

1 comment:

Michele said...

sad :( Hope he feels better soon. I like the drawing. So sweet. too bad it has to be erased. Healthy way of dealing with the problem tho- to draw it out- okay too many art therapy books lately- I need to stop. I need to go to bed. :)