Tuesday, June 19, 2012

I'll Color On Them All!

I finally finished a project I thought I would finish in one week during Spring Break back in April.  Well, I was quite wrong about how long it would take me.  Partly due to the fact that there was a miscommunication about whether or not I was babysitting a certain child during that week.  And by miscommunication,  I mean there was no communication.  Christmas break, I didn't watch the child so I just assumed I wouldn't be watching the child Spring break, either, and the mother never told me otherwise, so whatever.  It's done.  I like the kid.  It's just a good thing we didn't plan on going anywhere.  When Spring break was over, I was back to watching two children four days a week (plus an extra child two days a week).  I also had to plan a wedding shower, attended two weddings and went to Vegas, plus soccer games and all that other stuff you have to do to make your life run normally.  So I only had one day week to work on it the rest of the time and I didn't always get to work on it that day either.  So when school got out, I was supposed to be able to just work the whole first week and get it done.  My kids didn't let me, though.  I can't really remember why.  It was probably mostly just a bunch of yelling and having to go and physically remove them from one another.  Yeah, it's been that kind of summer and we're only three weeks into it.
But I am finally done, and want to reveal what I have been up to.  I painted the wall of my front room black and then stenciled on gray swirls.  It looks really, really cool, and I love it!  I knew it would.  Kurtis was apprehensive about it, and when I first proposed the idea, my interior designer sister was all like, "That could either be really cool, or really disastrous."  Well, I took interior design in high school, too, so I think I have the basic concepts down.  And I wanted something dramatic.  Because that's definitely who I am. :D  The room isn't put back together yet, so I will just show you the wall.  I'm so excited to finally be done!!!

 This is my before picture.  It used to be red.  I like red.

 But I also like change (well, when I am in control of said change), and I like black.

 The first row of swirls is complete!

 Next bit done.

 This is what my wall looked like for a really, really long time.

 Sometimes paint bled through the stencil.  So I had to go and touch it up after I finished the swirls.

 A close up of the finished wall.

I'm such a tease.  I know!  But here is the big reveal!  I can breathe again!  I love it, and I really don't care if you don't!  Ha ha ha!  Kurtis and I will be putting the rest of the room together tonight.  I'll show you more pictures tomorrow. :)

5 comments:

marciea casselman said...

Melissa, I love your wall! It looks great. What a lot of work. Who knows? Maybe you will inspire me to complete some of those home improvement projects that need to be done...like for 2-3 years...
I like your blog. It is refreshing and clever and cute.
Thanks for sharing.

Shauna said...

That looks unbelievably awesome! I'm having a little bit of wall envy...

Wendy said...

I like it too. A lot. Good job! (And I also really like red, too.)

Anonymous said...

Your wall looks amazing! So much work, but so worth it! You are super talented & amazing!
~Liz

Michele said...

Gorgeous! I love it. :)
Now for the furniture arranging...