Saturday, June 23, 2012

We Can Be Them Two Birds of a Feather

I've been going to a lot of weddings over the past couple of months.  Thursday, my friend from Guys and Dolls got married.  She invited me to her wedding reception, and I was going to tell my husband all about it and that he was supposed to come with me.  But alas.  I was a little distracted by painting my wall and forgot.  He ended up making plans to visit with a family we go to church with, and so I needed a date.  I ask on facebook if any of my friends wanted to come with me, and didn't think any one was going to respond, so I told Kaleb he could come with me.  I knew he would be bored, but I knew I would be more bored if he didn't come with me.  At the last minute, my friend that I met during Guys and Dolls answered my plea.  As I was driving to the wedding reception, I took a detour and picked him up at his apartment.  He is not LDS like I am and didn't really know what to expect at a Mormon wedding reception.  Unless he was lying to me.  I'll never know for sure.  He claims to have been born and raised here, so he should know the lingo, right?  I'm just kidding.  He's also Latino.  So the reception was quite mild compared to what he is used to.  Those Latinos love to party. ;)  I laughed as he took his skull earrings out while we were waiting our turn to hug the bride and groom.  He was all like, "Why didn't you tell me I shouldn't wear earrings?"  Because I didn't see the problem with him wearing earrings.
This is usually how a Mormon wedding reception goes (and I am not trying to sound like they are boring or not fun in any way because they are nice and I do enjoy going to weddings and wedding receptions, I just don't like to go by myself and not have anybody to talk to):  The bride and groom line up with their parents and sometimes their bridesmaids and groomsmen, and greet their guests, then you go get a refreshment and a non-alcoholic drink, sit at a table and chat with people you know.  I got there late, and they had already cut the cake.  Cutting the cake is my favorite part.  I always think it's really funny that the bride tells the groom not to shove it in her face and get cake all over her dress and then she shoves it in his face and tries to get him all messy.  Hee hee.  Usually, they cut the cake and serve it, and after the reception, the bride will toss the bouquet and the groom will throw the garter.  Then they run off into the sunset, and have a wonderful honeymoon and life together.  They don't have to do those things in that order.  Some brides and grooms like to have dancing and make things a little more lively.  It mostly depends on the bride and groom, but that's they typical format.
Any way, I knew I really wouldn't know anybody there, and wanted to go with some one, so I wouldn't be bored.  Kaleb was bored (I knew he would!).  He at least got two pieces of cheesecake out of the deal, though.  I was glad to have Jake along.  He and I got to talk and one other person from Guys and Dolls came and said hi to us, but I'll admit I wouldn't have stayed long if I was alone.  
I was so happy for my friend, though!  She looked so beautiful and so happy.  I wish joy and love and happiness on her and her new husband forever more.  But I didn't take pictures.  Sigh.  I know, I usually do. I was too busy talking to Jake though.  And she didn't throw the bouquet and he didn't throw the garter.  Unless I missed that, too.  Ah, well.  It was fun to see her again and hug her and see Jake again and talk and get to know him better.

So because I didn't take any pictures, I went facebook stalking these two, and look what I found!  A picture of Karlie and Jake during Guys and Dolls.  :)  We had some good times.  I hope we get to have some more soon. :)

Oh, and this is the card I made them.  I think it turned out really well.  It's also what made me late. :P

This post was longer than I thought it would be, so tomorrow, I will blog about the next wedding I attended. I took a lot of pictures at that one! :D

No comments: