Thursday, June 28, 2012

Somehow I Still Get the Chills

Today, Zachary and Kaleb had to get a cavity filled.  Zach borrowed my ipod and put on some headphones and was totally fine.  It was his first cavity, so he was a little bothered by the numbness when he was done, but Kaleb (this is his second cavity) was quite freaked out.  He didn't scream and kick or anything, but he was a lot on the uncooperative side.  He didn't want to get in the chair, and I had to tell him quite a few times to get up there.  The hygienist had to talk him through every step.  I love our dentist because of this.  They are so good with my kids and are so patient with them (because they think the dentist's office is a really cool playground).  She even numbed each of his stuffed animals that he brought for company.  Kaleb does not deal with pain very well at all.  Or any kind of discomfort for that matter.  He started to freak out a bit when he didn't like the taste in his mouth after they put the numbing stuff on his gums.  It was an ordeal that took way too long because he was so freaked out about it.  In the end, it really wasn't that bad - even he will admit.  He wanted me to take some pictures and I posted them on facebook because he told me to, but for those of you who aren't on facebook, here you go.

You can see how freaked out he is when you look in his eyes.  I don't like it.  I held his hand and kept telling him to squeeze my hand when he was uncomfortable, or scared.  I think it helped.  I tried to get him to put the headphones on and listen to music, but he wouldn't do it.

Apparently, when his tooth grew together, it didn't fuse all the way and there was a hole in the middle.  I asked if this was a baby tooth and we could just pull it out, but alas.  No such luck.  That thing they put around your tooth kept coming off his tooth, too.  So there were times while they were trying to hurry and work on his tooth that it was off and they had to keep asking him to open his mouth.  They kept putting it back on and then it would fly off and they'd put another one on.  My poor kid.

They gave him a warm wash cloth to put on his face when he was done.  That seemed to help, but this is him pretty much right after they finished.  Getting him to let them numb his tooth literally took longer than the whole procedure.  Poor kid.  We did the annoying parent thing and told him if he didn't want to get more fillings, he needed to take care of his teeth.  We're so mean. ;)  I really hope he doesn't develop a phobia of the dentist, though.  That wouldn't be good.

No comments: