Monday, March 25, 2013

Often the Quiet You Long For Comes From Unexpected Terror

The drive to school this morning was eerily quiet.  It was my fault.  I haven't screamed at my children like a banshee in a very, very long time.  Sometimes, screaming like a wailing woman warning of your death is the best policy, though.  Please make note of the sarcasm in my tone there.  It never is.
I was putting the rest of my laundry into their piles before taking the kids to school.  They were getting a little rowdy and I looked up to see them starting to encourage the dog to romp all over my Stampin' Up! orders.  I really don't know what was going through their heads, but yep.  I. Lost. It.  They are lucky nothing is damaged because I don't have $$$ to replace all of that merchandise.  "Get away from that stuff and get in the car!"  are the only words I uttered after the wail of terror.  They ran to the car.  I hurt Kaleb's feelings because he was coming down the stairs and had nothing to do with it, but he still got a very harsh "Get in the car, now!"  I was more repeating it for his brothers, but it was for him, too.
When I got in the car myself, I explained to them in as calm of a voice that I could muster at that moment (at least I wasn't yelling any more), that those things were my customers' orders and if they ruined them, I would probably kill them (I didn't use those exact words.  I left out the kill them part, but I can't remember exactly what I said).  Kaleb said, "I didn't do anything."  And I said, "Then I am not talking to you."
Thus the silence (usually it's fighting).  They were actually listening to me and taking me seriously for a change.  People think I am exaggerating when I tell them my boys only listen to their dad, but I'm not.  I ask them to do something and everyday, they ignore me, or pretend like they didn't hear me.
But screaming like that has consequences that I do not enjoy (most of them selfish), so I try to avoid it at all costs.  Today, I lost.  Tomorrow, I get to try again.  So do my kids. ;)

No comments: