Saturday, April 13, 2013

A Hap Hazard Way of Saying, We Got A New Roof Today

It started on Monday.  These guys came and put shingles on a really cool conveyor belt up and ran the new shingles up to the roof.  Earlier that day, there was a wind storm warning.  It said winds of 75 to 90 miles per hour would be expected.  So I texted my roof guy and asked if they would be okay up there.  He assured me they would be fine.  Later, the storm got downgraded to 35 to 40 mile per hour winds with gusts up to 75 miles per hour.  But we were a little worried.  We'd been through that kind of storm before and weren't too keen to see it again.  My neighbor was really worried about my shingles being blown off the roof, too.  She came over to talk to me about it.  It's a good thing I like her. ;)
Thursday, some guys came over and started hammering on my roof.  I was super excited.  Then, it started to rain.  They had to stop hammering on my roof and came back the next day.  I was super excited again.  Then they ran out of some stuff and they had to stop again.
This morning, after a sleepless night listening to my husband trying to cough up his lungs, Kurtis says to me (and it's 5 something a.m.), "Love, can you take me to the doctor?"
This did not make me happy.  First of all, I didn't sleep.  Second of all, it's tech day in my play and I was supposed to be there to help with stuff before we rehearsed.  I was supposed to be at the theatre at 9:30.  Our doctor's office is closed Saturday, so that means the Insta-care.  Yay.  It opened at 8:30.  So I called my director and told her I would get there when I got there.  She, of course, was very understanding and showed more concern for my husband than I had when I finally got to the theatre at 11:15.
He was sure he had strep throat.  He did not.  He did have extremely high blood pressure (153/104).  The doctor thought it must be the ibuprofen in his system, and told him to take acetaminophen instead.  She told him how to treat his symptoms, prescribed him a cough syrup with codeine (for night time) in it, and was very helpful in that regard, but it always irks me a little when I go to the doctor because I am convinced it is worse than it is only to be told, nope.  Just a virus.
While we were at the doctor, I realized the roofers were supposed to come finish our roof this morning, too. I tried to call home, but the phone hadn't been charged and I couldn't get a hold of Zach.  I tried to call the roofer, but left him a message.  After we went to the doctor and were on our way to fill the prescription, Zach called.  The roofers were there.  He had opened the garage for them.  Oh, good.  We got home about 10:40.
I had to rush off to the theatre, but at about 1:45, I texted Kurtis to remind him to take Kaleb to his game.  He couldn't miss it!  It was his turn to bring the treats!  Kurtis texted me back that he had Zach take Kaleb to his game (luckily for us, the field is in walking distance from our home - life with only on car can be tricky).  That's good.  In my rush to leave, I forgot to tell him if he didn't feel well enough to take Kaleb to his game, he should have Zach do it.  Then I asked if the roofer was still there.  He said, "Nope.  The roof is finished. :)"
Yaaaaaaaaaay!  Want to see pictures?  Yes, you do.  You know you really do.

 There it is.  And yes, it was raining that day, too.
I saw that thing last year when I was walking the kids I babysat to school one day.  I thought it was really, really cool then and I think it is really, really cool now.

 The white thing sticking off the side of the red conveyor belt is a packet of my shingles.  He puts it at the bottom....

And it goes all the way to the top where the man up there grabs them and puts them in neat piles.

 Here is the before shot of my house with all the neat piles of shingles.

 A close up on the shingles.  You can see how badly we needed a new roof, too.

 Thursday:  They started, but a couple hours later (if that), they had to stop.  It's too slippery up there when wet.  Probably about an hour later, the sun came back out, though.  Ugh.

 Friday!  They worked until they ran out of something.  Yes, he told me what it was, but I have no idea what it was, so I didn't bother to remember it.

 And the after shot!  Isn't it beautiful.  The lighting is a little dark because the sun was setting and it was threatening to rain.  I didn't get home until after seven, but isn't it so nice?

 See those new bumps on the very top of my house?  They put vents in up there.  Hopefully, this will lower our utility bill a little bit.

This is the back of the house.  More new vents!  Yaaaaaay!
Did I mention that I think it is so nice and looks great?
If you need a new roof, let me know and I will tell you who to call.  Eric is really nice and talkative and will give you a good deal.  
The shingle color I chose was called "Weathered Wood".  
Kurtis told me I could pick the color and then said he thought we should go with the "Midnight Black."  
I said it was a nice color and would look good, but a lot of our neighbors have black shingles and I like to be different.  Then I said that the black would be okay.  
Then I changed my mind the next day and got what I wanted.  
Do I feel bad?  Not really, but I had to tell myself repeatedly that Kurtis said I could pick the color and did, so there was nothing to feel bad about.  
So I guess I did feel a little bad, but why do I do that?  It's dumb, and I am good at picking out colors that go well together.  I do it all the time with my cards and stuff.  
Nothing to feel bad about here.  Nope.  Moving on.  
I have an awesome new roof and it's awesome!  :D

And my show opens April 19th and you should totally come because it is super funny and totally awesome!




3 comments:

Michele said...

Hooray for new roofs!

Tiffany Larsen said...

Well, I'm glad that your new roof is finally done, but I wish to see its pictures. You said it looks nice, so I got curious, especially when you talked about that space between the siding and the roof. If I understand you correctly, that space might mean the gap that contractors leave, so that there's no surface tension between the two different materials. That spacing is supposed to be 1 inch to 2 inches thick; so if this is what you see, then there's nothing to worry about. Tiffany Larsen

Tiffany Larsen said...

I was more entertained with your enthusiasm than the news of the new roof. Haha! Well, I can't blame you. I, too, am always excited whenever something new is being built in the house. The anticipation is my favorite part, and I'm happy that we share that in common. And yes, dear, your new roof looks really nice. I also like that you opted to be different from the rest of your neighbors' shingles. That's individuality for you! Tiffany Larsen