Monday, April 1, 2013

The Great Easter Egg Debacle of 2013

We had a good Easter.  I hope you did, too.  It did not start out all that amazing.
I'm in the choir at church and we were singing for Easter.  Our choir director wanted us to go to church a half an hour early to practice before.  This was fine, even though we have 9:00 a.m. church.  I just said to myself, "We'll have our Easter egg hunt after church.  Well, Kutis didn't like this.  He said, "I'm going to get the kids up in time and we'll have the egg hunt before you have to leave."  That's all fine and good and he did just that, but here's the problem with his logic.  What about me?  That means I have to get up early, too!  I tried to do that and I tried to get ready by 8:00, but no.  I wasn't ready until 8:25.  Yeah.  The kids got upset.  I got upset.  I knew this was going to happen.
The night before, I divided up all the candy into plastic eggs.  I ran out.  I asked Kurtis to go get me 20 more.  He called me and said there weren't any unless we got the ones already filled with candy.  No, no.  That's fine.  We'll just use what we've got.  I knew I should have bought some two weeks ago, but I didn't.  Oh, well.  There were 28 eggs for the boys to find.  That's not too bad.  I just stuffed the unopened bag of peanut butter M&Ms in my Easter basket.  It worked for me. ;)
Before the hunt, Riley knocked over an egg and spilled its contents all over the floor.  I deemed that one his.  During the egg hunt, Kurtis pointed out an egg to Kaleb, and Zach saw him doing this.  He ran to steal it from his little brother.  Kurtis tried to block him.  Three eggs went down.  They ended up being broken, too.  Then, Riley was going to put his basket on the table after the egg hunt was over, so I could divide the eggs up and make sure everybody got some jelly beans and M&Ms, and he dropped his whole basket.  Sigh.  So much for dividing up the candy evenly so everybody gets the same amount and nobody screams, "HE GOT MORE THAN ME!!!"  But nobody said that.  Thank goodness, or somebody probably would have been smacked.
After the egg hung, I was hungry, so I opened the refrigerator.  I realized that I was supposed to bring a salad to my mom's dinner.  And that I did not go to the store to buy the ingredients for that salad the day before.  Because I forgot.  So we did not have the salad that I wanted to have, but I did have lettuce, carrots, peas, spinach, and some tomatoes, so we threw together a pretty nice salad.  Then Kurtis said, "Oh! I want to put eggs in this salad!"  I wanted to leave, but he boiled some eggs (because I also forgot to have the kids dye Easter eggs Friday night.
My Easter was not a disaster, though.  I got to spend it with my family and we played a game called Castle Panic, we ate, and we hung out with my brother Rodney via Google Hangouts.  That thing is so awesome.  He showed us around his new apartment.  It's pretty nice.  I think my mom liked seeing him most of all.  She worries.  It's a mom thing, I guess.  I don't really worry about my kids much.  They're smarter than me.  They'll make it.
I got to give the lesson in my Primary class yesterday.  We talked about the Savior and the Resurrection.  When we talked about the Savior dying and being hung on the cross, I looked into the eyes of those beautiful children, and a few of them had tears in their eyes (ha ha!  I made some four year olds cry!).  It was a beautiful lesson.  I explained to the children that Jesus had to die.  It was part of Heavenly Father's plan.  Nobody likes that part of the plan, though.  It makes us all sad.  But he had to die.  If he didn't die, he couldn't be resurrected, and if he wasn't resurrected then nobody would be able to be resurrected.  He suffered for our sins in the Garden of Gethsemane.  Then he died o the cross and then Sunday came, and he was resurrected.  His body was changed and made perfect.  That is the gift he gave us on that wonderful Easter morning.  Because Jesus was resurrected, we all will be.  Our bodies will be made perfect again.  My stretch marks will be gone, my eyes will work without glasses.  Every flaw will be erased.  I wonder if it will be weird at first.  I wonder if there is a scar that I really liked and that I felt defined me in one way or another (there is), that if I want that scar back, if I will be able to have it back.  I wonder if I will want it back...
But yay! Easter!  I hope you had a marvelous Easter, too!

"Jesus Christ lives.  He is our Savior, our Redeemer.  He is a glorious resurrected being.  He has the capacity to communicate love that is so powerful, so overwhelming as to surpass the capacity of the human tongue to express adequately.  He gave His life to break the bonds of death.  His Atonement made fully active the plan of happiness of His Father in Heaven." (Richard G. Scott - General Conference April 2010)

1 comment:

abby said...

I kept waiting for you to say that you were late for choir/church! But it sounds like you made it. :) Happy Easter!