Sunday, April 14, 2013

In Which We Fight and Then Sort of Make Up

A couple of years ago, Arrested Development was put on Netflix.  It was a show that I never got to watch when it came out in 2003.  Hmmm.  What was I doing back then?  Oh, yeah.  That was the year Riley turned one.  I really don't remember much about that time period as I was in a haze of diapers and Dora the Explorer.  And probably too much Star Wars.  What?  You might ask.  How can you have too much Star Wars?  Well, while most kids were watching The Lion King, or Aladdin twenty-four hours a day seven days a week, mine were watching Star Wars.  I liked Star Wars.  I really did.  Then I introduced it to my two year old, and then, they all went through a phase where they all wanted to watch each and every one of those movies over and over and over and over and over.  My kids are three and a half years apart from the first to the last.  You do the math.
Any way.  Back to my story.  I never got to watch Arrested Development and it only lasted three seasons.  I had heard so much about it since it ended.  How it never got the chance it deserved and all that.  It was just wrong to cancel it!  You know. All that.  So when it came on Netflix, I said to Kurtis, "Hey, I hear this show is awesome and we should watch it.  Do you want to watch it with me?"  "Meh.  No.  Let's watch....."  I don't remember what he wanted to watch instead.  So I started watching it without him while I worked out on the recumbent bicycle or you know when I felt like it.  I hadn't watched it in a long time though.  But when I got home from church this afternoon to see my husband (he is sick and stayed home) watching Arrested Development and he was on an episode that I hadn't seen yet, I was mad.
I mean, what the heck!?  He didn't want to watch it with me then, but now - alone - is fine?  Whatever.  I told him I was mad.  He tried to explain that he thought that was the first episode.  He didn't get why I was mad and threw his hands up in the air and said, "Fine! I won't watch it!"
It's not that I didn't want him to watch it, or change his mind about watching the show.  But when he starts watching something without me (especially when it's something he has previously said he didn't want to watch), it makes me feel like he doesn't want to spend time with me.  And when he throws his hands up in the air, like I'm an idiot for being mad, it makes me feel like he doesn't want to talk about how I feel and try to make things right.  I don't like that.  I just don't.  So yeah, I was mad at my husband for watching Arrested Development today.  It's Fast Sunday, and I was hungry.
After I calmed down (but still mad/hurt), I asked Kurtis if he wanted to watch it with me.  I started him with the real first episode and he said, "I thought it seemed weird."  The show is making so much more sense to him now, and he really does like it.  Yay!  Something else we can watch together.  He still hasn't wanted to watch Arrow with me, yet, though.  That's okay.  It can just be my guilty pleasure, I suppose. ;)

No comments: