Monday, April 29, 2013

The Next Chapter

I am an actress.  I love being in plays and films.  It brings me joy.  It's the best work in the world (for me).  I love it.  I. Love. It.  This next part isn't meant to come off as an angry rant.  I'm not angry.  I just wanted to get this off my chest.  But not angrily.  Because I'm really not angry or upset in any way whatsoever.
What I don't love is when I get asked after doing two plays in a row, "So when are you going to take a break?"  Why would I want to take a break?  I love this stuff.  That's what happened after my last show that I merely assistant stage managed for.  I was frustrated that I wasn't on stage with that show.  I love acting.  I love being on stage, not backstage.  Although, I did enjoy being a part of the show.  I did have fun, but it's not what I love.  So I think I talked about taking a break or said something like that.
So when I wanted to go to an audition for something (I don't remember what), I was met with, "But I thought you were going to take a break after this show."
Sigh.  Yes, I want to spend time with you.  Yes, I want to have fun with my friends and go on dates with my husband.  Yes, working out our schedules might be a little bit harder.  But my dreams matter to me, too.
I do not plan on taking any more breaks.  I love you, but I need this, and the last "break" I took ended up lasting a year.  A year!!  I need this more than you will ever understand.  I don't really expect you to understand it either.  But I do expect you to try, or at least not roll your eyes and act like I am going through some sort of phase.  I do expect you to allow me to be who I am and accept the parts that I am offered regardless of whether or not you think that is a part a girl like me should be playing.  That isn't up to you.  That is up to me.  I expect you to respect that and not try to make me feel guilty or as if I shouldn't have accepted the part that was offered to me.
That being said, I am pleased to announce that I am going to be in the Terrace Plaza Playhouse production of The Curious Savage!  I get to play Lily Belle.  The spoiled step-daughter of Mrs. Savage.  I can't wait!  Rehearsals start tomorrow! So excited.

2 comments:

Danae Ostler said...

I LOVE this post! I have not been in anything since Beauty and the Beast and it is KILLING me!!! I did not used to go a day without singing and dancing and acting and performing and it has now been over 4 years since I have been involved in it all!!! I hear you loud on clear on loving it and needing it. Ben has been begging me to get involved again, I am not myself without it and he knows that. I think it is DEFINITELY time! So count me on your side-literally-as far as any judgments or criticism go. Teaching our children to follow their passion and dreams is important. What is life without them?! Hey! Maybe we will even get a chance to be around each other again! That would be pretty great too! You will have to keep in the loop with auditions and what not. :)

Danae Ostler said...

use* loud and* clear...don't mind me, I have been doing finals all day and REALLY need to go to bed!