Saturday, April 6, 2013

I Can Only Say These Things To You While You're Sleeping

Thursday morning, I woke up with a sore throat.  Friday, it had escalated to a full-blown cold.  Colds suck rocks.  Today, I can barely speak.  I sound terrible when I try.
But last night, I had somewhere I had to be.  My new favorite band is The Airborne Toxic Event.  They create beautiful music that makes me wonder why Kurtis doesn't talk to me like that.  Yeah.  I know.  But I just can't help myself.  Tickets for their concert went on sale on December 14th.  I bought my tickets December 14th.  I didn't want to risk it selling out and being left behind.  I did that when Snow Patrol came last time, and I was sad. Oh, and it did sell out, so I was right.  But I've been obsessed with this band since I heard "Sometime Around Midnight" on the radio a few years ago (probably 2008 because that's when Wikipedia says their first album came out).
Last night, they finally arrived in Salt Lake City (for the second time, but I was unable to attend the first time the came.  I can't remember why, but it was a pretty big deal, so I figured I'd better go to that instead) and put on an amazing show.  I do mean amazing.  Their opening act was Nightmare Air.  I'd never heard of them either.  They were loud and they rocked.  And their bass player/lead singer is a girl.  Pretty bad a**.  They didn't play very long, though seeing as they only have one album out.
After they were done, we waited and waited for the main event.  I don't know why, but they seemed to have run out of town for a sound check before the show, so they did it in between.  I did not like that.  Neither did my bestest friend Nicole.  Yep.  She's the lucky lady I took with me.  Because she will dance with me.
Seriously, though.  Nightmare Air ended their set at 8:33 p.m. (they started at 8-ish), and The Airborne Toxic Event did not go on until 9:14 p.m.
They were worth the wait.  They started out their set with "Gasoline".  A high energy tune that got the crowd roaring.  They kept that energy up with the next song "Happiness is Overrated", followed by "Does This Mean You're Moving On?"  The next song, I don't know what it was called.  Maybe it is on their new album which doesn't drop until April 30th, so I don't have it yet.  But I could have sworn it was from their first album.  I know.  How can I call myself a fan when I can't name all their songs just off the bat like that? :(  After that came "Changing," "Something New," "Girls in Their Summer Dresses" (love that one!), "Half of Something Else," "Numb," "Safe" (second single off the new album), "Wishing Well" (he said that is the first song he ever wrote), "Timeless", "Sometime Around Midnight," "All I Ever Wanted," and then "All At Once."  They said goodnight, and left the stage.  But they came back for an encore and sang my favorite song:  "The Graveyard Near the House."  It made my night, really.  Then they sang "Innocence" and "Papillon."  They said goodnight again.  But a few seconds later, they came back on and said, "This band has been our whole lives for the last five years.  We'll share tonight with you a little longer."  I'm so in love.  They started playing "Missy" (That song is not about me, but you know I think it should be. Hee hee.), and then it morphed into Johnny Cash's "Ring of Fire" and into Tom Petty's "American Girl."  Then into Springsteen's "Born In the USA," and back into "Missy" again.  It was awesome!!
At one point (in the beginning), the lead singer jumped into the crowd to crowd serf.  He split his lip open.  Maybe biting your lip when you jump into the crowd is a bad idea.  "Thank you for catching me," he said.  "A little hands-y"  He didn't do that again, though.  At another point in the show (near the end), he was rocking out on his guitar and the violinist was rocking out on her violin and he knocked her over.  Then later, he was trying to rock out with the guy playing the keyboard and he whacked her in the arm with the end of his guitar.  Poor Anna.  She was getting beat up last night.  He didn't mean to do it though, and the two of them laughed it off (after he rubbed her arm to make her feel better).
After the concert, we went to Denny's for dinner.  Then I decided I was too tired, and needed to go home and get some sleep.  Tomorrow, I will be staying in bed all day.  Today, I wanted to, but I had to go grocery shopping.  I was supposed to help paint the set for my play, this morning, but I ditched it for my bed because I sound like a squeaky mouse when I try to talk.  I wanted to go, but it was not to be.  It's been an interesting day trying to interact with people.

For an all ages show, they sure did swear like sailors.

 Yay!  We're almost inside! :)

 Nightmare Air.  Check them out.

The Airborne Toxic Event are (left to right):
Steven Chen (guitar and keyboards)
Anna Bulbrook (viola, keyboards, tambourine, and backing vocals)
Mikel Jollett (vocals, guitar, and keyboards)
You can't see him that well, but Daren Taylor (drums)
Noah Harmon (electric bass, upright bass, and backing vocals)

 Anna, Mikel, Daren, Noah, and Steven is probably behind that pillar on the right.

 We were behind the sound/lighting booth.  It was the perfect place to be, but I wish I had a better camera.  My phone just doesn't cut it.  Although, it is better than my last phone, so I can't complain too much.





The giant metal bird (well, it looked metal anyway).
The new album is called Such Hot Blood and it will be out April 30th!  Don't forget to buy it.

Check out "Timeless" from the new album

Here, let's give Nightmare Air a little love, too. :)

No comments: