Monday, May 27, 2013

Weasel Sauce

Memorial Day Weekend.  What a great holiday.  Friday, I went out to dinner and to see Iron Man 3 in 3D with my bestie.  I loved the movie.  The 3D part was disappointing though.  I'd say it's not worth the extra cash for your ticket.  Also worth the time to have fun with my bestest friend Nicole.  She and I always have fun together.
Saturday morning, we had the Creekside Family Fun Run and Breakfast.  It' a fundraiser for our cub scouts to help them have enough money to go to day camp.  We ate pancakes and eggs and strawberries and grapes.  Kurtis ate so much sausage I was expecting him to go into cardiac arrest, right then and there.  He he.  Good times.
Today, I invited all my siblings still living in Utah to come hiking with me up Adam's Canyon.  It's such a beautiful hike and none of them have ever been up there, so I thought it was time to share it with them.  At the end of the hike is a waterfall.  I've hiked that trail three times and I still haven't made it up to the top.  Lili, Michael and Ben kept going, but Riley and Kaleb were too tired, and Jeremy had to go to work, so we headed back down (there was probably only fifteen minutes left for us to hike until we got to the waterfall, but oh well.  We can always go again.  After the hike, we all met back at my place and ate food.  Kurtis and I supplied fixings for some deli sandwiches.  Emily and Joel brought the chips, Lili and Michael brought a watermelon, Ben brought a Snickers Salad (It's Snickers, red and green apples, and whipped cream - so easy and soooo good!), and Jeremy brought fudge that he had made.  My parents even dropped in on their way home from their trip to Colorado.  We all had a good time even though we never did get to play Killer Bunnies.  I think I'm going to be pretty sore in the morning.
I feel like I am leaving something out.  Oh, yeah.  Kurtis didn't come with us because he was afraid of dragging us down and keeping us from getting to the waterfall.  I wish he had come with us because I lost two of my children while we were on the hike.  I guess I forgot to tell everyone to stay together because Jeremy and Riley just took off up the mountain leaving us in their dust.  Then Kaleb and Ben disappeared.  Zach was gone, too.  Finally, nearer the top, we all found one another.  Ben told Zach that there wasn't time to go all the way up any more (this was before he left with Lili and Michael) because Jeremy had to go back down.  Emily and Joel had given up and were resting down the trail a little ways.  I wanted to talk to Michael, Lili, Ben, and Jeremy to find out what they were doing, so I told Zach and Riley to wait for me by Emily and Joel.  They headed down the mountain.  Kaleb had decided he was too tired to go on, and so I told Ben that I would take him back down and he could go with Michael and Lili.  I can hike the trail again another time and go all the way up (I could have made it) with Zach (he was bummed that he didn't end up getting to go with those guys.)  I got to the rock where Emily and Joel were waiting a little while later (with Kaleb and Jeremy).  Zach and Riley were not there.  Joel told us that they had been down by the stream and so they probably didn't see them and kept going.  Yes, that had to be what happened.  I headed down the mountain still helping Kaleb, thinking no big deal.  They know the way.  Then we got to where the trail keeps going down or breaks off to go to the bridge and the three of us missed the turnoff.  But we noticed not long after and got back on the right trail.  I  got a little panicky after that because what if Zach and Riley missed the turnoff, too and were heading down the mountain the wrong way?  I asked a few people if they had seen them, but they all said there were too many people to have noticed them.  Great.  I left Kaleb with Jeremy and I swear, I have never gone down that mountain so fast.  When I got to my car, I started to cry because there they were, leaning against the hood.  Waiting.  What a relief!  I hate that feeling.  Zach cried, too.  He didn't mean to make me worry.  I asked them to just stop by any rock next time and wait for me if that ever happens again.

It was such a beautiful day today!


 Kaleb and Ben.





 This tree reminds me of that story, "The Spooky Old Tree".


 Joel.

 Can you see why I love this hike?

 Zach found a termite eaten stick.  He said, "You know how I can tell that this was eaten by termites?"
"How?"
"They don't like to eat the stubs."
Whether this is inaccurate or not, that looks eaten out by some sort of bug to me. :)

 Kaleb

 Michael and Lili!

 Ben!


 This tree is really, really big.  Lili was quite impressed by its bigness considering it's in Utah.


 Such a cute couple!


 Check out my muscles.

 Along the trail there are lots of mini waterfalls.  I love waterfalls.

 I finally caught up with this guy and he did look incredibly tired.

It was a good day.  Even if I did lose two of my favorite kids.
Hey, at least I found them in the end.  That's really all that matters.
They didn't know they were lost.  :)
Besides, I got home to see that Ben had decided to post this as my status on Facebook when I wasn't looking:  
"I love my family!!! They are such cool people. I am so glad they're here for memorial day! It's a party! Woot woot. Now it's time to boogie like a grey elephant wearing purple tights and washing our toes like a silly banana bug. Weasel Sauce."
Hahahahaha!  Too funny.  Totally made me laugh and feel better.  Thanks, Ben!