Wednesday, October 14, 2009

A Not So Happy Birthday Present

Yesterday was Riley's birthday.  He turned seven!  He's so big.  It was such a special day.  His dad took the day off of work to help me with his birthday party that afternoon.  I baked a strawberry cake with strawberry frosting that I dyed orange.  Then Kurtis, Kaleb and I went to the store to get some last minute things for the party.  While we were in the store, Riley's school teacher called me.  She told me Riley said his tummy hurt and she thought he felt warm to her.  I'm thinking, yeah, he's probably fine, but I said since I wasn't home, I would be there in about twenty minutes.  We finished at the store (I forgot some things in my haste), and picked him up at the school.  He was pretty warm when I got to him.  We brought him home and and took his temperature.  It was 103.8!  Needless to say, we postponed his party.  I gave him something when his dad told me his fever was 104 and Riley told me he had a headache.  He felt better after that and started to act somewhat normal.  For his birthday dinner, he chose Arctic Circle mini corn dogs.  He ate most of them, but the whole time I was wondering if giving him corn dogs was even a good idea.  Then, after the meds wore off, he started to feel awful again.  His fever went back up to 103.  We opened his cards and presents for him while he watched.  He got a really cool Lego set that he asked for (anything Space Police, please!).  He tried to be excited, but it wasn't happening.
Today, he is fine.  Absolutely no fever at all.  His school said that because of the swine flu, they are being cautious and he couldn't go back to school for 24 hours after the fever breaks.  He was fine, all day though, so I made him do his homework.  He caught up on his reading that he couldn't do and did his homework from yesterday and today.  His grandparents and great-grandma gave him money for his birthday.  He was so excited today.  He was telling me over and over again that he had "fifty-five dollars and twenty-five cents!"  No, I'm not really sure where the twenty-five cents came from, but it was funny.  He also had fun working on his new Lego set.  But, alas, tomorrow it is back to the old grindstone for him!  (Yes, I am laughing inside just a little.)  But I love my little guy, and I wish his day could have been so much better.


3 comments:

Michele said...

Tell Riley Happy Birthday! Tell him we hope he is feeling better. Last week Ana was sick and missed the whole week of school. I'm hoping it was the swine flu so we don't get it again and don't feel pressured to get the vaccine. Okay, I did not just say that to freak you out. You will all be fine and Riley will get better. You are invincible- especially with the space police on your side.

sweetlissybug said...

Riley was fine the next day. I said so in the blog, silly. :)

molaram said...

shh this is isaac dont tell my mom i'm playing on her blog hope riley feels better im sure legos woul cheer me up