Friday, October 9, 2009

We'll Make Great Pets!

I just experienced something pretty dang wonderful.  If you're a third grade boy!  Which Zachary is.  This morning, Zachary asked me to come to his school's "Snail Olympics".  It's just what it sounds like.  Olympics for snails.  I got to sit at the Mountain Climb table and help the kids time their snails.  We put them up to the edge of the clear cups or mountains and saw how long it took them to get up the "mountain".  It was pretty fun.  Some of the kids were afraid to pick up their snails and put them down, so even though I was told I wouldn't have to touch the snails, I did.  Some of the kids were also afraid that they were going to pull the shell off their snail (some of those snails had some pretty good suction going on!).  It was cute.  You get used to it, but they are slimey. Blech!  Then one of the teachers asked if Kaleb wanted a snail.  He said he sure did and one of the kids got one for him.  It was cute how excited he got.  His didn't really want to go up the mountain though.  It just climbed across it and then went back down.  One of the other games I saw was "Hurdles".  It was so cute.  The hurdles were crayons!
Apparently, Zach gets to keep his snail, too, so we now have two pet snails to add to our two pet dogs.  I never thougth we would have snails.  Maybe they won't live very long.  We'll just have to see how well Kaleb and Zach take care of their new friends.


Zach and his classmate get thier snails ready!






Zach's snail at the top of the mountain!
I tried to zoom in closer, but my camera is having issues that I don't understand right now.

3 comments:

Us said...

thats awesome. my neighbor told me this morning that they were doing snail olympics, i had no idea what he was talking about. so funny!

Michele said...

I LOVE it! That is so cool! I am going to have to figure out how to work that into cub scouts or the neighborhood or FHE or something! Send me more details.

Jarret M. Sharp, Ed. D. said...

Made my Monday! Brilliant