Monday, February 22, 2010

"A Pox? Oh, How Delightful - A Pox!"

Chicken to be specific.  Kaleb came home from church yesterday, and as usual, I said (well, more like sang really loudly opera style in my great tenor voice), "It's time to change our clothes!"  I sang this over and over getting higher and higher.  I'm such a rock star.  Well, also as usual, Kaleb decided to take his time so an hour later, he comes out of his room, lifts up his shirt and says, "Mom!  What is this!?"  He had little red dots reminicent of chicken pox all over his tummy.  He didn't have those (as far as I knew) when he got dressed that morning.  So I thought, well, he needs his kindergarden shots any way, so I'd better just check it out.  Also, he's had the chicken pox before, so it could have been something else.  I called the doctor this morning, and thank goodness for smalltownness that we live in.  There was an appointment this afternoon.  The doctor told me getting mulitple outbreaks of the chicken pox can run in the family.  I only had them once, though.  She told me one family, the mom had them twice as a child, and her son, got vacinated (so has Kaleb), and still got them three times.  I suppose it could be worse.  It always could be worse.  He got out of getting his shots this time.  That's something he was happy about.  Poor guy, though.  He had a birthday party at lunchtime that he couldn't go to because of his red spots.  I took the boy over his present later, so Kaleb got a goody sack, but it's not the same.  When I told him he couldn't go to the party he got really sad, and hid under a chair.  His dad took the day off so I could go to my eye appointment (still only a one car family), so when I got home, Kurtis was hugging his little guy trying to make him feel better.  Other than that, you wouldn't know he had anything wrong with him.  No fever.  Nothing.  He still wants to run around and play the Playstation.  He's just itchy.

4 comments:

Rach said...

The last time Jacob missed a birthday party, he was really sad, too, so I made it up to him by taking him - just him! - out for ice cream. He seemed to be OK with that.

Michele said...

I'm sad for Kaleb. :( That is no fun. Did you buy snow pants yet? heehee. Love the Irish decor. :)

sweetlissybug said...

No. I have not purchased snow pants. I don't think I can find them any more. Still waiting for your email...

sweetlissybug said...

Oh, and Rachael, we took Kaleb our for ice cream before his doctor appointment to make up for missing the party. He loved it. :)