Friday, March 9, 2012

Birthday Fail :(

Have you ever felt like time is this giant rocket that you've been strapped to and there is a certain date that you are being hurtled towards, but you can't slow it down even just a little bit, so that when you get to that date, you have a smooth landing on it?  That's what happened with Kurtis' birthday.  I didn't forget it, it just came at me like a ton of bricks and before I knew it, it was upon us.  I kept asking him what he wanted for his birthday.  He wouldn't give me a straight answer.  That makes it hard.  He wants a Google TV or a TV for our bedroom.  We don't have cable, so in order for us to have a TV that lets us watch Netflix on it, we need a wi-fi connection.  Thus, the Google TV.  But we went to look at the other TVs at Target any way on Wednesday night.  On the way there, I asked him what he wanted for his cake.  "Oh, crap!  You're cake!  We don't have a cake mix yet."  So we had to get one of those.  He wanted cupcakes.  I suggested we just go buy half a dozen somewhere, but no.  He wanted me to make them.  Sigh.  The box mix makes two dozen.  Sometimes, I think my husband is trying to sabotage my weight loss goals.  Even if it is subconscious.  The other way to get wi-fi upstairs in our room is with another xbox.  When we added up the cost of a new xbox, and a 32 inch TV, it was about the same as the cost of a Google TV, so we might as well just get that.  We decided to not do it.
Yesterday was Kurtis' birthday.  I had no present for him, so I forgot to get his card ready.  Then Riley came home saying his stomache hurt for the second day in a row.  Yay.  That's just what we need.  Kurtis wanted to go to Outback with me for his birthday.  We fed Riley (well, all of the kids) and he said he was feeling better, and left them saying that if he throws up, they should call us. 
After dinner, we went to Barns & Noble.  It's pretty much our favorite store.  He ended up getting a few books for his presents, but I couldn't help but feel this birthday was a total fail.  He is now 38.  I told him that was weird.  It's weird to think that in two years he will be forty.  It's a bit surreal.

 These are the cupcakes I made.  Apparently, I put too much batter in the cups because according to the high altitude directions, I should have gotten 36 cupcakes.  I only got 21.

 My boys.

 I couldn't find our candles.  Another fail.  But after we sang to him, he pretended to blow out the candles any way.  He's such a good sport. :)

3 comments:

Des said...

Ya know- the older I get, the more "birthday fails" I seem to have. Birthday's just aren't as fun when you are old. Getting old sucks all of the excitement out of the day. I remember birthdays as a kid were so magical and I felt so awesome the whole day. Now it feels like just another day. Some years are different if I am getting a really cool present or something, but mostly it's just another day. :( The cupcakes look delicious BTW. :)

Emi-chi said...

Those cupcakes look good! Don't think of it as a fail. :)

Michele said...

When you have people cheering in the background of your photo it can't be a total fail- and with cupcakes that look that good? No way.
I think the more birthdays you celebrate together it isn't a failure, but a more casual simple-y happy way to celebrate.
Of course that's coming from someone who doesn't bother to send out birthday cards anymore & forgot to even email or say happy birthday to Kurtis on his birthday- days slip by too quickly for me. I still love you guys & happy birthday.