Thursday, March 8, 2012

Lost in Destruction

After such a late night on Tuesday, I slept in yesterday.  A little longer than I intended.  I had things I wanted to do!  I worked out even though it wouldn't have taken me so long to get ready for the day if I didn't.  I'm trying to loose weight.  In fact, I've even given up candy.  Saying that makes me so sad inside for some reason.  I just can't have it.  But this post isn't about that.
After getting ready for the day, it was about 12:30.  I think a little tiny bit later than that.  Like 12:37 or something weird.  It's not important.  That's when I started the deconstruction of my kitchen floor.  It was a lot easier to take that floor apart than the front room.  Until I got to the bay window.  Apparently, the floor the previous owners put in didn't quite reach the wall, so they used this rubbery caulking that was brown to fill in the crack.  That was a big huge pain to try to cut through.  First, I took off the baseboards.  I broke one.  The one by our railing.  Apparently when they put the railing in the house, they put the baseboard on first.  I thought it was cut around the bottom of the railing, but I was wrong, and so we will probably have to change the railing (something that was on my list of things to do someday) sooner than later.  Ah, well.  On project leads to another seems to be the rule in this renovation.  Yippee!  I also ruined the thinger majig that is at the top of the stairs that helps create a seamless look between the laminate and the carpet on the stairs.  Kurtis said that I shouldn't worry about it.  Let the professionals figure it out.  Sigh.  I just wanted them to think I was awesome!  Is that too much to ask?  It probably doesn't matter.  They will just assume my husband did all the work.  Ha!  Yeah right.  Like he would do that.  I kept asking him to help me take care of the messes in the kitchen and he would say, "Yeah.  We need to do that." and go do something else.  Like play computer games.  To his credit, though.  While I was at the concert last night, he and the boys did help move the chairs and made room in the living room for the kitchen table.  Then he and I moved it last night.  It was heavy!  P.S.  Nobody is allowed to call my husband lazy, except me.  It's my right as a wife.  But he's not lazy, so back off.
I'm just so very excited that this part is almost done!  I'm so excited to have my kitchen floor repaired.  Who knows.  Maybe I will throw a floor party.  Probably not.  I'm tired.  Maybe when I have the front room all painted and decorated the way I want it.  That will be way more awesome to show off. :D

Here are the before and after shots:

 This picture is really dark, but you can at least still see the floor.

 Another before shot.

 Another angle.

 And after!  I worked hard.  Well, maybe not that hard because this time it didn't seem quite so strenuous, and half of it had already been done when they were drying the place out.

When Kaleb got home, he said, "Woah!!  Did they come work on the floor today?"
"No, honey.  I did it."  "What?  You took out the floor?  You're awesome!"
Then he said, "I like this floor!  We should keep this floor!"
"No!  This floor is awful!  Look at all those stains on it!"  "Oh.  Alright," he replied with his head hanging low and a downtrodden look on his face.  Too funny!  Like I would let him pick the floor in my house!  :D

The pile of laminate!  That stuff is heavier than you think it will be.

Monday, the reconstruction begins!

2 comments:

Michele said...

Can't wait to see it!

Michele said...

I'm looking at these pictures again and looking at your kitchen cabinets. They would probably look really good red like you were telling me about.