Wednesday, March 7, 2012

You Play 'Em Loud, But I Don't Mind the Noise

Kurtis came home from work early yesterday.  When he got home, and the girls had been picked up by their momma, I got in the car and drove downtown.  I met up with my sister Emily, and her friends Samantha and Vincent.  Vincent is my friend, too.  He was the sound guy during the filming of Paradox Season 1.  Unfortunately, he won't be our sound guy next season.  Sadness.  But he on to bigger and better things that involve actually getting paid.
As I left my home, it had begun to snow, and by the time I got downtown, it was snowing harder.  Not a lot of snow, but it made me cold, and wet.  I even curled my hair, and got all dolled up for the evening, but alas.  What was the point?  I finally found my sister parked like two cars down from me across the street from The Complex.  That's funny because I ran across the street to try to find her waiting in line with the rest of the concert goers.  I think it probably took like two minutes to find her, but it felt like five.
When they opened the doors, we ran to get in line.  We got right up to the front of the stage and hung out.  I swear we waited for an hour before the first act came on.  His name was Joel Pack.  I loved him.  He told us he had gotten a call three hours before the start of the show to come down and play for us.  Wow.  What would that be like?  Well, that would be freaking awesome.  That's for sure.  Here's a sample of his music:

 
 He didn't have a beard last night, and (not that my opinion matters to him) I liked his look better without the beard.  He's cute.

Joel played for us for half an hour.  He also told us he's coming out with an album in June.  I think he said June, so support your local artist and pick it up! :)
After Joel, Andrew Allen came out and crooned for us.  I didn't know who he was, but apparently, I had heard one of his songs while I was browsing through YouTube one night.  He told us it was on a movie called Abduction.  I never saw that movie, but he made fun of it a bit by saying that the main characters were being chased through a train, and the kept stopping to make out.  Hee hee!  Sounds like a really dumb movie.  He's from Canada, and he's really skinny.  Like my kids skinny.  Here's his song:  
 

This isn't the song from the movie.  But I enjoyed that one as well.  It's called Loving You Tonight, so check it out.  I bought his cd, and he signed it for me after the concert.  He's so gracious and kind to his fans.  He took the time with each of them that they wanted before moving on to the next person.  I can't help but love that about him.

Then it was the main event.  Dia Frampton!  If you watch The Voice, you know who she is.  I don't, but she also used to be the lead vocalist in the band Meg & Dia.  Emily's favorite band.  It was fun to watch her play.  Basically Dia Frampton is Meg & Dia, but now they just use Dia's name.  I can tell that they love music, and they love to perform.  All the acts last night were like that.  I love watching people who love what they do.  Their joy just radiates and you can't help but soak up a little bit of it.  I left that concert feeling so happy.  Next time they come around, I would highly recommend going.  Here's one of Dia's songs:

Love this song!

We were right up by the stage, and Emily gave me her camera, so I took a bunch of pictures with it, but I don't have any copies yet.  I bet she will post them on facebook soon, but I did take a few with my phone.  The battery was almost dying, so I didn't take a lot.  I wish I wouldn't be such a chicken and just bring mine!

 My hand stamp!

 Joel Pack

 For Andrew Allen's finale, Dia and her band came up and banged some cow bells for percussion.  It was funny.  Then they told us it was his last day on tour with them.  Dia got a little teary-eyed.  It's hard to say goodbye to your friends.

 Dia Frampton.  She can sing, she can play the guitar, and the piano.  So talented.

For their first encore, the invited some random guy out of the audience to come up.  She and Meg (her sister) sang Flight of the Concords' song Most Beautiful Girl to him.  They changed it the lyric to boy, though.  It was funny.  Then they sang The Broken Ones for the final song of the night.