Monday, March 26, 2012

You Gotta Have a Dream

Every now and then, I like to ask my kids what they want to be when they grow up.  Tonight at dinner, I proposed the question to Kaleb.  He's seven.
Kaleb:  "I want to be a dad."
Kurtis:  "You can be a dad, but what do you want to do for your work?"
Kaleb:  "I want to be a babysitter!"
Kurtis:  "Really?"
Kaleb:  "Yes!  I want to do what Mom does."
Me:  "What does Mom do all day?"
Kaleb:  "She watches the girls and watches Bones all day!  And Dora!"
Me:  "No, I don't watch Dora.  The girls watch Dora.  You have to make them lunch, too."
Kaleb:  "Okay!"
Me:  "And change their diapers."
Kaleb:  "I don't care!  I just want to play with babies all day!"
Me:  "When you are dating and you have a girlfriend, tell her you want to be a stay-at-home dad, and see what she says."
Kaleb:  "Okay."
He looked so happy at the thought of playing with babies all day long.  It was the cutest thing ever! :)  I'm so glad I've raised my children to be so progressive and aren't looking for gender specific jobs.  It's great.  Riley told me he wants to be an author.  He even used that word.  "I want to be an author."  Zach has reconsidered the Army, I guess.  At least, he said he doesn't know what he wants to be this time I asked him.  I told him that was fine.  He has a lot of choices, and doesn't need to worry about it just yet.

2 comments:

Michele said...

I LOVE hearing what kids want to be when they grow up. Your kids are awesome.

Jen said...

Oh man that is adorable!! What a cutie Kaleb is!