Monday, April 28, 2014

In Which I Turn Myself Into Someone Else

So I'm in a play.  I'm sure I've told you about it, and I know I had to vent in one post a bit back.  Sorry about that.  But I am happy to say that I love this show!  I love my fake husband and my other fake husband and the butler and my rival and everybody in the cast!  They are good people.  You have to come and see it if you are in the area.  That's an order!  Here's the link for tickets, show dates and times, etc.  My parents and my brother and his girlfriend came Friday.  My other brother went last Monday, and they all LOVED it!  You will, too!
Any way, I thought it would be fun to blog about getting ready for this show.  I play two parts in it.  The first one is Jennifer Bowater-Smith.  She's nuts.  She's an artist who talks a mile a minute.  Seriously, when I was first off script and getting her down - this lady talks faster than I can think!  How did I finally get it?  Practice.  That's all it takes, really.  She's also very self-absorbed.  I know.  Not too hard for me to get into character, there.  ;)
In order to make me look like two different people, the director decided Jennifer Bowater-Smith needed to wear a wig.  He brought me this monstrosity and asked me to make it look presentable. 

 Her name is Ophelia.  Yes.  He named it.  All I could think was, how the heck am I going to do that?!  This thing is not real hair, you can't comb it, you can't really brush it and it has some bald spots.  Oh, and the morning after I brought it home, Kaleb said he came downstairs for breakfast and it freaked him out a bit.  When I came down, the head was turned towards the wall.  Hahaha!

  I tried it on just for fun.  I showed this picture to my kids at dinner tonight and their expressions were priceless.  They thought I looked pretty nuts.  And Zach said, "Then why are you blond?"

Since pretty much the only up do I can handle is the bun, I went with that.  I also had to make it a low bun, or you would be able to see the hair net that is attached inside. You can see one of the bald spots on the right side near the top.  The director wanted me to wear a hat, but the costumers didn't think that would work and found this blue flower that had been made out of fabric from the dress.  I asked if I could make it prettier and they gave me their blessing.  This is what I came up with.

I added the jewel in the middle and the feathers.

So here's my regimen on:  At 2:30 in the afternoon, I turn on my hot rollers.  They need to get nice and hot because my hair doesn't like to do what it is told.  At 3:00, I put them in.  If I've washed my hair that day, I make sure it's dry and blow dry it more if need be.  When I'm done, I usually look like this:

This is not a good picture of me and I don't look very happy, but meh.  It's fine.
I'm getting faster at this and better at getting all of my hair in the rollers.  If I miss a strand or two, I just curl it with the curling iron, though.  While I wait for the rollers to cool down, I make dinner.  When I have a show, I like to eat at 4:00 or 4:30.  Then I'll eat, and by then the rollers are cooled.
As I take out the rollers, I take the curl I just unraveled, roll it back up and bobby pin it to my head. One at a time.  I end up looking like this:

 Then I put on my foundation and powder, put on my spanks and pack my bag to leave.
When I get to the theatre, I finish my make up, put on my nylons, mic, costume, jewelry, wig cap, wig and -very last - the lipstick.

And wal-lah!  I'm Jennifer Bowater-Smith!  Cynthia and I had the same art class!


And then after she and her husband Stanley (poor Stanley!) are done making everyone laugh, I rush downstairs and change into Winnie.
Do you want to see my transformation into her?
Well, you'll just have to wait.


No comments: