Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Dracula

I have some ranting to do.  I finished Bram Stoker's Dracula recently.  It was a really excellent book.  I enjoyed it.  I like vampire stories.  But awhile back, I watched the movie (I know.  I should have finished the book first, but I'd still be ranting this whether I did that or not).  The movie was made in 1992 and stars Gary Oldman, Anthony Hopkins, Winona Rider and Keanu Reeves.  With names like Anthony Hopkins and Gary Oldman you would expect it to rock, but I really don't care about their ridiculous acting jobs.  Keanu gave a really, really bad attempt at an English accent, but that is beside the point.  My point is this:  HOW CAN YOU CALL YOUR MOVIE BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA AND THEN NOT TELL THE STORY IN THE BOOK!?  Sorry.  But I want to scream when movie makers do this.  It really annoyed me.  The movie has nothing to do with the book. They took the characters that were in the book and made an entirely different story all together.  Lame!  If you are going to do that, you don't call it Bram Stoker's Dacula.  You call it Dracula if you  must, but put a little note at the begining that says, "Based on Brahm Stoker's Dracula" or "Inspired by".  It's just my opinion, but I feel really strongly about it.  Especially when the author isn't around anymore to do anything about it.  The book was first published in 1897.  I think Mr. Stoker rolled over in his grave when that movie was made.

No comments: