Monday, June 14, 2010

I've Been To the Dentist A Thousand Times, So I Know the Drill

Today kind of sucked.  It was fine at the beginning.  Just your average everyday kind of day.  Monday is laundry day, so I got that going.  Then, around 2:15 in the afternoon, I loaded the kids in the car and took everyone to the DENTIST!  I had to get a cavity filled, and Riley needed a fronectamy.  I couldn't (well, okay, I didn't) find a babysitter for Zach and Kaleb, so I grabbed the laptop, and some movies for them to watch while they waited for us to be done.  Kurtis came later also because his crown on his implant was loose, and needed to be fixed. 
When I got there, I set up the laptop, and the boys watched Robin Hood (the Disney one with the foxes and animals).  They called me back, and got me in the rubber mask when low and behold, Kaleb comes to visit me!  Yay.  He was supposed to stay in the waiting room, and watch the movie.  But could I yell at him in my position?  Not really.  I tried.  He just said, "What?" a lot, and also said what is on your face?  Then Riley came back, too.  Great.  Not long after that, they put Riley in a chair to get him ready (Phew!).  Finally they started working on me, but Kaleb wandered around, saying hi to everyone.  Kurtis got put in a chair pretty soon after that, and so Kaleb would move from chair to chair, checking everyone out.  Zach stayed put until the movie was over, but when it was over, he came to visit too.  The whole family was there.  It was a joyous occasion.  While the dentist was putting my filling in, he says to me, "Your kids are so cute.  They're like little Keebler elves.  You just want to put little hats on them."  I've never heard that one before, but alright.  At least he made me laugh.
My dentist's office is great.  Because when I apologized for my children wandering everywhere, they said, "No, we love children here."  They are waaaay too nice.  Way too nice.
For the rest of the evening, the left side of my face was numb up to my eye.  Seriously.  It did something to my eye.  And Riley's bleeding is finally starting to go away.  Poor child.  He had to have three stitches.  Dr. Vargo said some kids have to have six, so three is good.  When we got home, he had tears in his eyes and a sad look on his face.  "Mom," he said.  "It hurts."  I gave him some ibuprofen.  He got to have a smoothie for dinner (no biting allowed).  And five minutes ago, he said his pain level was zero.  I'm so glad.   Oh, and Kurtis?  We were done, so we left him at the dentist office.  The kids were so sad to leave.  But his crown isn't fixed.  They re-cemented the old crown, but it was still rattling.  They tried to take it off so they could fix the abutment (All Kurtis knows is it goes between the crown and the implant).  But they couldn't get it off without destroying it, so right now, he has a healing cap on it.  And a great big gap where a tooth should be.

3 comments:

Stacey said...

Wow! Sounds like a fun day at the dentist. It reminds me of when I take my clan, all 7 of us. Fun times.
By the way, what's a fronectamy?

sweetlissybug said...

Alright. Since you didn't just google it (which has some really nasty pictures if you do), I will tell you. :) Everybody has a band of muscle that connects their upperlip to their gums. Riley's was unusually large and penetrated to behind his front teeth. The dentist believed that is why he has such a big gap in his teeth. So he basically cut it out. He still has the band of muscle, it's just where it's supposed to be now, and the gap in his teeth should go away with time, and he shouldn't need braces. We're crossing our fingers any way. If you want more detail, just goodle it. There will be gross pictures, though. I'm just warning you. :)

Michele said...

I'm glad you just told us, because I don't want to look at gross pictures. Keebler Elves? i think that dentist has been using some of that gas. :) Sorry you all had to go to the dentist, but glad it went fairly well and hopefully they can help Kurtis's tooth.