Wednesday, June 30, 2010

My Heart Rate is Returning to Normal

And I can stop crying now.
I wasn't really crying.  Just on the inside.  A little.  On the 18th, I was driving to Cafe Rio to pick us up some yummy dinner and bring it home when I hear a noise.  I think, "Hey, it sounds like I have a flat tire."  So I pull over into a neighborhood, and sure enough, I have a flat tire!  The same tire as last time, too!  What is up with that?  I called Kurtis.  He said he would come help me right away.  He was supposed to go visit a family with his friend, but he called him to let him know I needed to be rescued.  I started jacking up the car, and tightening the lug nuts instead of loosening them.  There wasn't anything else I could do until he arrived, so I sat on the curb and waited.  When he came, he used his strong manliness to change my tire for me.  I do know how.  I really just have a hard time getting those stupid lug nuts off.  Apparently it helps if you loosen them instead of tighten them.  Also he told me to use the end of the wrench thingy instead of holding it in the middle.  Next time!  The next day (Saturday), we went to the tire store, and had to get two new tires.  I suppose it was time to rotate them anyway, so it worked out.  I just needed that extra expense like I need to wear spandex.
Then I took my car in to get registered on the 21st (Monday).  It did not pass the emissions test.  Really sucky.  The guy said nothing was coming out the exhaust pipe, and freaked me out by saying that if it wasn't coming out the back then it must be going inside my car.  So I drove with the windows down all the way after that.  We don't have air conditioning, so I'm pretty used to that any way.  He also said he couldn't find a hole in the exhaust pipe, either.  I paid the registration fee, and got a temporary sticker for the car, so I wouldn't get pulled over, and I called my brother to ask him what he thought.  He said that even if there was a hole in my exhaust system somewhere, it would still be coming out the tail pipe a little, and said he could come look at it Monday.  Sunday, I remembered I had to go to the big city so Riley could go get he stitches out from his fronectamy, any way, and I should just go to him after we were done.  He said that would work because he had the whole day off (after a class that got out at 8:40 in the morning).  He even offered to watch Zach and Kaleb so I wouldn't have to take them with us.  So nice.  So nice.  After the five minutes at the dentist's were over, Rodney checked out my car.  He said, "There is too something coming out the tail pipe.  I can feel it."  He also assured me that the only way exhaust would be coming inside the car is if we had taken it apart and put it back together wrong.  He said the pipes in my exhaust system were corroded and that it would cost about $500 to fix.  Yay!  I just happen to have $500 just lying around saying, "Spend me!  Please, please, PLEASE, spend me, now!"  He also told me I would probably have to leave it at the mechanic's place over night.  Great.  Because I love calling people, and asking them to take me places.  I only have one car.  :P
I made an appointment with Master Muffler this morning.  They told me the corrosion went from this part to that part, but I don't know what he was talking about, so I immediately forgot what he said.  But it was only $100, and they did it in half an hour!  That made me really, really happy because when I called them for an estimate, they said $420 depending on what needed to be done.  Whew!  I can breath again!  They fixed it, we passed inspection, and my car is now registered!  My boys were even good!   I am so glad that is over, but I really can't help but wonder:  What's next? 

3 comments:

Michele said...

don't wonder- you'll find out soon enough. :) What is a fronectomy and when did Riley have one? did I miss a post?

sweetlissybug said...

You know what it is. I explained it in the comments in the post "I've Been to the Dentist A Thousand Times So I Know the Drill". You left a comment, silly. But he got that on June 14.

Michele said...

Oh yeah. Sorry.