Monday, May 7, 2012

Aim High, Man! Why Not?

Saturday I woke up really, really early, kissed my kids good-bye, and drove up to my parents' house.  After telling my mom to stop being so sexist and to leave Michael alone, Jeremy was finally ready to leave.  The four of us climbed into their mini van and we drove up to Logan, UT.  You see, Jeremy (my fourth brother) was graduating from college.  Utah State University to be more specific.
The speakers were great.  Very inspirational.  The commencement speaker was Eric Greitens.  He's a Navy Seal.  Probably not someone you want to mess with.  He said that when people were training, when they had someone counting on them, when they were working to get someone else through (not just themselves), they fought harder to make it through the next ten seconds.  If they could make it through that, they could make it through the next ten minutes, and so on.  I believe his point was that we need to figure out what we love to do, and how it can be used to help better the world outside of ourselves.  Not bad advice.
The honorary doctorates were cool.  Especially one woman from Saudi Arabia.  The program said, "For her service as a powerful role model to women aspiring to careers in education, Utah State University is proud to bestow upon Norah Abdullah Al-Faiz the honorary degree, Doctor of Education."  She was named TIME magazine's "2009 TIME 100".  Apparently she's one of the most influential people in the world.  No big deal or anything.
After the Undergraduate Commencement Ceremony, we walked over to the Kent Concert Hall where the College of Agriculture Convocation was to begin at noon.  Jeremy earned his BS in Nutrition, Dietetics and Food Services.  Yeah, I'm pretty proud of my brother.
Oh, yes.  A lot of pictures I have posted here as well.  I like to post a lot of pictures.  I just wish my camera would learn how to focus again. :P






 Navy Seal

 Most influential person

 Who's that?  Oh, him?  He's just the Valedictorian of the College of Science.  His name is Victor.
I thought this was a cool pic, though.



 Laura M. Balls

 Janae Decker, Nutrition, Dietetics and Food Sciences Valedictorian

 Associate Dean Janet Anderson handing Jeremy his diploma.
Thank you to the man who stood up just as I was taking his picture.

 Jeremy looks pretty pleased with himself, though.

 As it should be. :)

 They gave us Aggie ice cream afterwards.  Apparently, they use 7% more butter fat in their ice cream and that is what makes it taste so good.

After stopping to get some plants, we ate here.  It was just alright.  We went to the basement pizza place where there were peanut shells all over the floor and the tables had names and things carved all over them.  It wasn't my favorite pizza, either.  But now I can say I've been there!

2 comments:

Michele said...

Yay Jeremy! What a great weekend. :-). This weekend should be good too -see you soon!

abby said...

Hooray for all these graduations in interesting subjects! Very cool!