Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Next Stop? Vegas, Please.

My Memorial Day weekend this year was pretty epic.  I mean, I don't normally just pack up and leave my whole family and go off to Las Vegas for a couple of days.  It was great.  Every now and then, I just need to embark on an epic adventure.
Nicole and I have been talking about seeing a certain play that is going on there right now every now and then.  Her husband and her kids were going camping and we decided it would be a great weekend to go see the show we've been wanting to see.  Then I found out that it was also the Father and Son's Camp Out my church does every year that weekend as well.  Perfect!  So, my bestest friend Nicole and I left Friday morning and grabbed a couple frappuccinos from Starbucks.  Don't worry, Mom.  You can get them without the coffee and then they are basically just a fancy word for a milkshake.  Quit freaking out.
We drove through Arizona and into Nevada and stopped at the Moapa Indian Reservation store.  I just like to say that name.  Mow-ah-pah.  I'm probably saying it wrong.  We went to a comedy show, did some shopping (mostly browsing), and sight-seeing.  But the main purpose of our trip was to go see the play the Phantom of the Opera.  We loved every minute of that play.  The story was stupid, but the music was amazing, and I really liked when the chandelier almost hit me on the head.  That was really cool.  Then we drove home on Sunday.
Then Monday, my family and I went to my grandfather's grave and put some flowers there.  My brother Michael met us there.  Then we went to his wife, Lili's studio and Michael showed them some of the equipment.  Lili binds books and they have a big old fashioned printing press/de-embosser machine thingy.  Yeah, I really don't know what it is.  Sorry.  It was really cool, though.  Michael showed them how it worked and everything.  Then we went to lunch with them.  Who knew Crown Burger was closed on Memorial Day?  So we went to Chili's instead.  Michael hates Chili's.  :D
So let me take you on a journey.  A journey through my weekend.  With pictures!

 Somewhere along the way.  Probably in Arizona.

 Nicole.  She thinks she has a double chin to cover up, but she doesn't.  She makes me laugh.

 A factory in the middle of nowhere.  That commute wouldn't be fun.

 Oh, my gosh!  We are so funny! :)

 A night of laughter.

 Then we ate dinner here.

 We had a late breakfast here.

 This sign is just cool.  :)

 Treasure Island

 The shops in the Venetian have gondola rides.  We didn't go on one.

 The ceiling at the Venetian.

 Hee hee!

 So glad we came before it left!

 Whoopee Goldberg was just standing there outside of the Venetian.  It was so weird.

 The beautiful fountain.

 The hottest person in Vegas.

 At Caesar's Palace, there is this show about the fall of Atlantis.
This is the king of Atlantis.  He wants his kids to stop fighting about who gets the throne.

 Hey, Dad!  You should pick me because I control the water and I am so much more awesome than my brother.  He's a dork.

 Well, I am more manly and I control fire, so you should pick me!  Look at my fire sword!

 But they couldn't stop fighting so the dragon on the dad's throne came to life and buried them in the sea.  Sad day.

 We couldn't figure out who would willingly wear this shirt without getting paid to do it.

 Fountain outside of Caesar's Palace

 The ceilings in the Venetian were decorated to honor our veterans.

 Outside of the Mirage at night, there is a volcano show.

 The view of the Venetian from Treasure Island.

 Arizona border on the way home!

 The St. George temple is gorgeous against those beautiful red rocks.

 There's a rocking chair outside of this gas station in Beaver, UT.  You should totally check it out sometime.

 Memorial Day.  Visiting Grandpa's grave.

 At the cemetery.  This bird was taking a bath.  I just thought it was a cool picture.

 My brother.  He's good with kids.

 This is the giant paper cutter that will cut your arm off.

 They decided it would probably be better to just cut up a phone book instead, though.

 The de-embossing machine thingy.

 After dinner, we took the boys to see The Avengers.  Kurtis and I went to see it for our anniversary, and thought they would really like it.  They did.

 I asked them all who their favorite avenger was.  I wasn't really surprised when they told me it was Banner.  "And Hulk?" (Dramatic pause) "Smash."  Hawkeye is my favorite.  And Ironman.  Black Widow is pretty cool, too, though.

3 comments:

Emi-chi said...

Sin City? You'll hear from Mom on that one. ;) Captain America is my favorite Avenger, but Joel's is the Hulk too. :) We might try to see it a second time when it's in the dollar theater.

Jen said...

Fun!!! So glad you had a fun getaway!

Michele said...

Waaah! I'm sad I didn't get to see Michael & Luli's printing stuff! It looks like a nice studio. I think I need one of those. ;-)
Oh, & Vegas looked fun too.
:-p Mom's not going freak out about Vegas. Sheesh. Give her a break.