Friday, May 4, 2012

He Can't Help Himself, Cuz He Was Born To Shine

Yesterday I made my kids stay home from school.  We climbed in the car and traveled to the big city and picked up their dad.  Then we went to lunch with my brother.  My parents were there, and two of my other brothers (I have five total).  One of my brother's friends showed up.  I think there were eleven of us all together.  That's not really important.  What is important is why we were getting together.  Because my brother Rodney graduated from college yesterday!  Woot!  Woot!  This is really, really awesome.  He is now and aircraft mechanic.  Which is pretty dang cool.
We ate at a place called Moki's on 48th and Redwood.  It was pretty good.  I had the Teriyaki chicken.  Zach had the shrimp.  He really liked it.  For me, it was just okay.  I prefer white meat, and as it was a Hawaiian restaurant, they mostly used dark meat.  The spinach salad has bacon in it - just to warn you.  It was really good when I picked it out, though.
After lunch, we dropped Kurtis back at work, and went to Rodney's school and we got to see the engines he learned to work on and the airplanes and helicopters he worked on.  The kids had so much fun pretending to fly the airplanes and the helicopter.  Rodney showed them what all the controls do.  They thought that was pretty dang cool.
Then Zach had a dentist appointment.  I no longer have to turn his spacers and now we just let them do their job and wait.  Zach was hoping that meant he was getting them off, but alas.
When the dentist appointment was over, we picked Kurtis up from work, and drove to the Maverick center where Rodney's graduation ceremony was underway.  We were a little late.  We didn't get to see him walk in, but we did see him receive his diploma.  The ceremony was pretty cool.  The key note speaker was Abby Wambach.  Yes, that Abby Wambach.  Oh, you don't know who she is?  She's on the US Women's soccer team and is an Olympic gold medalist.  Yeah.  That's a pretty big deal.  Her speech was amazing and inspiring. She knew she was going to be a soccer player when she scored 27 goals in her first three games when she started playing.  Maybe she said 23.  I can't remember any more.  Either way, that is pretty impressive.
Warning:  A LOT of pictures ahead. (What?  My sister who lives in another state couldn't be there, and she likes to see what happened, and my other sister wasn't there.  She had to work or something...)

 Lunch!  Kaleb has decided to become camera shy.

 In the front entrance of the school they have some cool stuff.

 Like models of airplanes and helicopters.

 Rodney is showing them this helicopter engine.

 They thought this place was pretty cool.

 But then we moved to the hanger.

 Oh, yes.  Look.  I really was there! :D

 Rodney and Kaleb

 Oh my.  We may have a future pilot on our hands.

 Zach thought this was pretty cool.

 Riley and Grandpa.

 Riley and Rodney in the helicopter.

 A really cool engine.  I can't remember what kind.  Ask Rodney.  He knows.

 Abby Wambach.  She said that she hasn't graduated from college yet, but she promised her mother that she would, so it's something she is working on.  She's kind of busy right now though.  With the Olympics and all.

 Abby Wambach speaking.

 Presenting and Accepting the graduates.

 That blur of awesomeness is my brother.

 Rodney wouldn't stop moving, so my pictures are blurry.

 Back at his seat.

 After graduating.  Kaleb also refuses to give hugs right now.

 I'm so proud of my brother.

 Rodney's diploma!  Well, the case anyway.  The real one is in the mail.

Rodney and our parents.  What a great day!

1 comment:

Michele said...

So awesome! Glad you posted lots of pics. We wish we could have come. :-)