Thursday, October 7, 2010

He Sooo Does NOT Know Me Very Well!

Tuesday, I got a call from our Bishop's executive secretary.  The Bishop wanted to meet with me.  This always freaks me out.  I feel like a naughty kid whose been called into the Principal's office.  "What did I do!?" is always the first thing to enter my head.  He just wanted to ask me to volunteer to help out the ward choir director.  Our numbers are dwindling.  But the thing about the LDS church is that we all volunteer our time for the positions in our ward, but we call them "Callings".  The person in charge is supposed to pray to Heavenly Father for inspiration about who to put in each position.  So because it comes from God, we are taught you should always accept your calling because that's what God wants you to do.  With that in mind, let me go on.
So the bishop says to me, "This is a calling I think you are really going to enjoy."  And he goes on to explain that our ward chorister needs to be able to focus on the music side of her calling, and they would like me to be the one who calls people and asks them to come to choir practice, co-ordinates when and where it is, and all that business.  Why in the freaking world would any one think that I would ENJOY that!?  I used to sell Mary Kay Cosmetics.  They wanted me to call  people, too.  I don't sell Mary Kay any more.  At least I still get to be on the Activities Committee.  Here's my latest poster that I finished this morning:

The spiders and bats are dangling from the witches hats with black thread because I couldn't find my white thread.  Oh well.  It turned out really, really cute.  I told Kurtis I wasn't sure I liked the background, but he said it looked art deco.  So I thought, well, if it's art, then I won't change it! ;)  The committee chairperson loved it, so I am happy. :D

5 comments:

Katrina and Brian said...

I sooo would not want that calling. Dang! did I just jinx myself! Good luck!

Katrina and Brian said...

PS your poster is very cute.

Michele said...

I love the poster! Hahaha on the calling- You will do great! One time we were in a ward where the RS Pres wanted to call me as chorister for RS and the bishop was all for it, but lucky for me sacrificing my husband to early morning meetings was worth it because he said I don't have those skills but would say yes if they asked- they didn't ask. They were surprised- people just look at me and think I play piano or am way into classical music and shakespeare and stuff like that- where is this coming from?! I wear worn out t-shirts and jeans all the time so how am I giving off this first impression?

Stacey said...

You will do great at anything! People love you...how can they not? If you called me, and I didn't live on the other side of the country, I would be at choir practice for sure!

Love, love, love the poster!!! You've got some mad skills!

Mom and Daddio Nash said...

I love the poster, Melissa! It's very Halloweenish! Sorry, but if you call, I won't come...I can't sing my way out of paper bag. That's very sad to me because I love to sing but my voice has gone the way of my other body parts that are getting old. :o(