Saturday, October 23, 2010

Some Days, I Wish I Were Mean!

I'm going to vent just a little in this post, so if you don't want to read about how somebody annoyed me today, don't read on.
I babysit a 5-year-old, a 2-year-old, and a 5 month old on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays each week.  This week, their dad had to work full time, so I watched them everyday.  Wednesday night, I developed a cold.  My throat hurt Thursday, and it hurt today, so the less I spoke the better.  At the time of this moment, it hurt to talk.  Also, it's getting chilly, so the kids' mom brought a little jumper that you put on the baby and there's a slit where the car seat buckle can go through to make it easier to keep your baby warm while they are in their car seat.  We haven't needed it in the afternoon when I walk the kids to school - until today.  I just so happens that this jumper (I call it a jumper because it has no sleeves.  I don't know what it's really called.  I never had one.) is blue.
While I was watching the kids on playing on the playground before school, I was holding the 5-month-old.  She loves to watch the kids play.  Kaleb loves this little girl, too.  He came up to her, and was trying to make her laugh.  Which isn't hard.  Her laugh is pretty dang cute.  I squatted down, so they could be on the same level, and a woman I didn't know and had never seen before, came up to tell me how cute my baby is.  "Is it a boy or a girl?" she asked me.  "She's a girl," I said quietly because it was painful.  Then she says to me, "Don't dress your baby in blue if you want people to know she's a girl!"  I just looked at her like she was nuts, and she walked away, but geesh!  Then, I said to Emily (the baby), "Girls can wear blue, too.  Don't listen to her."  Man, I wish I had a voice, and were meaner because her outfit underneath the jumper was pink!  She had pink sleeves with little flowers all over them sticking out.  I would have pointed out the sleeves to her if I could have.  I hate it when I can't talk.
But where does that woman get off telling me how to dress my baby?  First of all, she's not my baby.  I don't really care if people know she is a girl or not.  People who know her, know she's a girl.  That's all that matters.  Strangers don't need to know her gender.  Second of all girls can wear whatever color they want!  Besides, I don't have any say in what she wears.  If I were her mom, and I had a blue jumper thingy from when the first kid was born (a boy), I wouldn't get a pink one just because I had a girl.  It's in perfectly good condition.  No holes.  A new one just isn't necessary.
It was just annoying.  Having had all boys myself, this has never happened to me before.  I feel better now.  This is why blogging is therapeutic.

2 comments:

Michele said...

I hear ya sister! Boy could I go on and on... People really should just mind there own business. i have had similar experiences. I will just stop now while I am ahead.

Des said...

Agreed. People really should think before they say things and remember the old saying, "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all."