Wednesday, May 21, 2014

In Which My Child Becomes The Hulk

Kurtis asked me what I wanted for Mother's Day.  I told him that I would like a nice pan that has a lid.  My current pan had somehow warped on the bottom and when I would cook, it would wobble a bit and not heat evenly, and it did not come with a lid.  Which is stupid.  Because every pan should come with a lid.
Well, I do love that man of mine.  He listened and I got my pan.  I was so excited!

 Here is my beautiful lid in all its glory.

And here it is on the beautiful new pan!  Isn't it gorgeous.  I cooked in it the next day and had Zach throw away the old one.

Skip forward to Monday.  Monday was the 19th.  Mother's Day was the 10th, so nine whole days later, my beautiful new lid now looks like this:

 Yes.  That is glass.  In my dishwasher!

 And yes.  That is the shattered glass lid of my dreams.
It's pretty cool looking.  I mean, that's what your car window would look like if someone hit it with a baseball bat.

That lid was made of tempered glass!  Not the regular annealed glass that your windows are made of.  Tempered glass that your car windows are made of!  Tempered glass is four to six times stronger than annealed glass.  When you throw a baseball at 56 miles per hour annealed glass, it breaks and shatters.  Your stemware is made of annealed glass.  When you throw a baseball at tempered glass at 55 miles per hour, it bounces off it.  It's hard to break, guys.  Hard.  
So Kurtis and I were sitting on the couch Monday evening enjoying one of the movies Kurtis bought me for our anniversary (I haven't posted about that yet).  It was Riley's turn to do the dishes that night.  He comes and says, "I broke the lid to your pan."  I thought he was kidding at first, but that's not really very funny and he's much better at funny.  "How did you do that?" I asked him incredulously.  Kurtis asked if he was joking, but I was like, "No, he's not joking."  He was on the verge of tears.  "I put it on the drying rack and when I pulled out the top one, it hit it and it fell over and broke."  What?  Did he pull it out super hard or something?  No, he claims he pulled it out normally.  Whaaat?  I don't know about that.  He must have been mad that it was his turn to do the dishes and was slamming everything around.  In Hulk-like fashion.  I mean, really?  Nah.  He wasn't. But still.  But after watching that video down there at the bottom, it makes a little more sense now.  It probably got bumped just right.

Here's the photo I put on Instagram.  That filter really brings out the glass shards.


Check out this video to see just how strong tempered glass really is (or isn't - depending on your perspective).

No comments: